Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inuit carved wood spoon

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Inuit carved wood spoon

I guess I am replying to my own post...oops!  Did not mean to do that.  Can someone help me with this?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not an expert, but it looks like an Orca (killer wale) and might be more from the Pacific NW - Vancouver BC areas. Coast Salish people.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I agree, not Inuit.  Most likely Haida, Tlingit, or other Canadian First Nation coastal group. 

However, the market is currently flooded with imports from Indonesia, which often can fool even those who deal in this area.  Often the items are copied directly from photos of museum pieces, or from standard reference books of Pacific Northwest Art.  

So unless you know the name and tribal affiliation of the carver, about the closest you can come is "Pacific Northwest Style".   I wouldn't put much confidence in an identifcation or authentication based just on a photo. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you...I will investigate further.  This was given to my husband 50 years ago by a friend that was from British Columbia.  He collected that type of art.

Dazzlejoy

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you.  A friend gave this to my husband 50 years ago and he was from Vancouver, and collected this type of art.

Dazzlejoy

Message 6 of 6
latest reply