cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Need Help Identifying this item, Please

I haven't a clue - was part of an inherited estate that was many, many years old.

Appreciate any enlightment you may be able to give on this.

Thanking you in advanceHaven't any idea what this isHaven't any idea what this isP1180016.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: I Need Help Identifying this item, Please

At first glance it looks like a purse, but I for one could not offer any good ideas without knowing the size of the item, and seeing the entire item including the reverse, top,, and bottom. I do see a signature on the lower right corner on what looks like a linen cloth. .....

Someone else might know what it is just from your photos.  

Rita

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Well, the way it is hung on that white rod makes me think it's just that -- a hanging, a piece of textile art, wall decor.  That idea is reinforced by what Rita spotted, this signature:

large.jpeg

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Maxine, I thought wall hanging too but somehow it looks like it has an actual function apart from decorative.  Knowing the size would help.

Rita

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

Knowing the size would help.

Rita

Agreed! 

I don't see any dimensionality (is that a word?) to it.  I mean, it just looks flat.  Another reason I went with "wall hanging."  But, who know?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you ALL - so much for your suggestion & input. 

You're right about the measurements helping so:

the approximates -  width is 43" & length 33"  It is displayed as if it is a piece of art in a large dementional plexaglass box frame that is about 3" larger around the piece.  I does look, to several friends, like it may have had a function, too ...  somone said perhaps like a saddle from an exotic country. I'm not able to show the back because it is in the box & I'd have to remove it to do that.  Sorry I didn't supply better information - I've just joined here today and, obviously, have a lot to learn.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Tht size and that presentation nails it:  It's art, signed by the artist.  Definitely not a saddle, not for any animal, not from any country.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi Maxine*j  (and everybody  who's been so helpful)...

I thought it might be interesting to share with you all the follow up researh information... 

I've been able to find & contact the original buyer of this piece & here's the "story" he  said...

It was originally an unused moroccan horse saddle pad(?) that had been framed & hung

on the wall as a piece of art (thus the artists signature?).   It was purchased by a Buyer at a Real Estate Staging Company along with many other expensive objects for an apartment they were selling (evidentlly an extreamly expensive one)!!!  Since I was hoping to sell it, once I found out what it was, I also requested the actual worth...  At the time it was purchased, back in the 1980s, it cost $5,000, !! 

I don't know whether to believe this or not, in truth.  I've asked if there's any provinance to go along with it & he said he'll look for it & let me know.

If I find out anything additional I'll post it here.

Again - many thanks for all your input - this has been quite a journey!

Now to learn more about using this community site rules  ;-D

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If I'm wrong, it'll be only the third time today, so I'm beating my usual average.  Smiley Very Happy

A Google image search of fancy Moroccan horse tack makes me think it could be a piece of same, as in these examples:

0f1bd26471221539ce3bbe034160bfe4--latin-america-morocco.jpgcheval2.jpg62354099-e4c0-42ae-adfd-3aca80b1d76e.jpg0dcc0f980af3fa15a6793212183a7da7.jpg

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It might be the piece hanging on the horse's chest (or whatever the horsey set call that...)

Message 10 of 10
latest reply