cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with ID of this painting???

I salvaged this and have been looking all over the net to see what the heck it is. No luck. I would really appreciate some help.

It is a dual sided picture with what appears to be a lead frame and has been hand painted over the figure on what I guess is the back.

The title (?) is in Bavarian/German and reads Ein Gamsenjager  annos 1883. Which Google Translate says means game hunter.

FrontFrontNot frontNot front

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Help with ID of this painting???

Since you give no hint as to the size, it's hard to say.  But it looks like a suncatcher, and a newish one.  You know, like these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stained+glass+suncatchers+for+windows&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Sorry about the no size. My first try here.

It just over 6 inches wde edge to edge and 8.5 inches long, tall.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Die Gämse is a chamois, you know the wild mountain goat-antelope.  So the title is "The Chamois Hunter."

Maybe this is based on a famous painting, or a famous song, of that title.  You might search along those lines, just for fun, especially since you have the date.

This is probably from a nice souvenir / gift shop.

(By the way, there is another one listed on eBay but it is completely misidentified and misdescribed, so if yo run across it yourself, do be led astray by it.)

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Oh, boy!  Make that, "...do NOT be led astray..."   Smiley Embarassed

Message 5 of 5
latest reply