cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Blue Boy print?

I have this beautiful print of Blue Boy.  The frame is solid wood and the back has a label on the back that says "The Blue Boy, T. Gainsborough, R. A. Printed and Published by Eyre & Spottiswood, Ltd. London"  (Eyre and Spottiswood were printers for the queen in the early 1800's?)  The back has flat head nails and also new nails.  There is a half tag under the hangar, but it's not readable.  I'm trying to figure out what I have here.  Would appreciate any information one might have.  Thank You!  IMG_7242.JPGback of frame.  there's another tag under the hanger part.  Barely visible.back of frame. there's another tag under the hanger part. Barely visible.IMG_7249.JPGWriting on the cardboardWriting on the cardboard     

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Widely reproduced.  I don't think the age of the reproduction is going to have much impact on value.  Firm wouldn't have "printed and published" until after 1929 which looks right.

Debora

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks Debora - is it appropriate to ask your personal opinion on value?  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Think eBay history more valuable than my personal opinion!  182 completed listings of Blue Boy items (which includes reproduction prints, figurines, plates, puzzles etc.) on eBay.  Of these, only 38 sold

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=blue+boy+gainsborough&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sol...

Think you'd have to be lucky to find buyer.  Frame attractive but costly to ship.

Debora

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Good point - I thank you for your input.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Pleased to have been able to help.

Debora

Message 6 of 6
latest reply