cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to Identify Chinese Covered Vase with Markings

Can anyone help me to identify this covered pot/vase?  I have attached photos.  Thanks in advance.1004.jpg1005.jpg1006.jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help to Identify Chinese Covered Vase with Markings

Reign/era marks are more often faked for prestige than not. Qianlong is the defining period of excellence in P'glass, hence the mark purporting to be from that time. 

The lid, handles and base mark are inconsistent with the flow and form of Chinese glass of this era. 

Your piece is "new." Meaning mid 20th or newer. 

Still worth a few, I'm sure, just no idea what a newer reproduction "in the style of" Peking glass would fetch. Sorry for the bad news, I hope this helps you. @joedawolf 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

it is called peking glass, cannot tell when or exactly where made

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thanks.  I was able to find that.  Trying to find out the age.  I appreciate your help.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

乾隆年制-----Qianlong year made

The Qianlong Emperor (乾隆帝) (born Hongli, September 25, 1711 – February 7, 1799) was the fifth emperor of the Manchu Qing Dynasty, and the fourth Qing emperor to rule over China.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Anyway to know when this vase was made by the markings?  Thanks.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It should be, but I don’t have the ability to identify whether it was really produced in that Qianlong era of this vase.

for referrence:

https://auction.artron.net/paimai-art0018790636/

HKD 150,000-250,000 RMB 121,965-203,275 about 200,000USD

too expensive🙄

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Reign/era marks are more often faked for prestige than not. Qianlong is the defining period of excellence in P'glass, hence the mark purporting to be from that time. 

The lid, handles and base mark are inconsistent with the flow and form of Chinese glass of this era. 

Your piece is "new." Meaning mid 20th or newer. 

Still worth a few, I'm sure, just no idea what a newer reproduction "in the style of" Peking glass would fetch. Sorry for the bad news, I hope this helps you. @joedawolf 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thanks.  I saw a piece that was similar that someone claimed to be from 1910 and they were asking about $1200.  Does that sound feasible or do you think much less money?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It has to be authenticated before asking about the price and they won't do prices here. You should send pics to a major auction house to see if it's real and valuable. It's like witches: if you hold them underwater in a barrel and they come up breathing then they are probably real witches but if they drown, chances are good that you just killed a normal person. 👿

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@joedawolf 

I'd love to see the similar item. Do you know if it's been listed very long? It's hard to compare without a picture, but..

...if the piece you're talking about has all the same elements, lug handles, reversed color mark, a lid and similar quality motif carving, it ($1200) may be a good starting point. 

Only problem is the price being asked isn't going to give you an idea of what it will fetch. 

2 things:

1. Get a liveauctioneers account (free & fast) for hammer prices of similar examples sold at auction. 

2. Contact Peter Combs at bidamount and get it appraised. He's my last word on Asian (especially Chinese) arts. 

He's long-winded and lovely. Doesn't charge much and I'm not aware of another expert I'd trust with something as niche as Peking glass. 

Hope you post back when you get an answer, and here's hoping I'm utterly incorrect in my judgement about it being reproduction. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I always check Liveauctioneers - they are my go to site.  I don't think this is a genuine antique.  I think it is probably early 20th century.  Hard to find sold values.  I'll give it a try and see what the bidders think.  Thanks for your advice.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Happy to help. Please relate your findings. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I dont see ebay having the level of expertise to authenticate something like this. Carbon dating? Or it could be authentic but repainted at some point just not possible.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1785404960974084398&wfr=spider&for=pc

or

use Google bing  search 怎样鉴别清代琉璃瓶

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the "solve," Joe! @joedawolf 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply