cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Indentifying Old Bullets

I acquired these from an elderly man's estate back in the late 1980s; he claimed that when he was young, he had found a cache of them metal detecting a Southern Civil War battlefield. I don't remember what state it was, or which battlefield.

They are iron or steel, a magnet sticks to them. They are 1" long, not including the nipple on  the bottom, and about 1/2" or 13mm across. Weight is 17 grams.

I know absolutely nothing about ammo, and haven't been able to find anything similar in online searches. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!20230305_144006.jpg20230305_144050.jpg20230305_144026.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Help Indentifying Old Bullets

I don't much either, and I'm trying to remember some of the stuff my late brothers had.  What you have like what they called "ringtails," but bullets in the Civil War era were made of lead, rather soft lead at that.  When you dig them up now, they often have a wonderful white patina, like many of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=civil+war+ringtail+bullets&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh--...

and these:

https://www.detecting.us/civil-war-related-pages-guides-history-references/civilwarbullets/

So I don't know what you have, because I'm reasonably certain there were no iron / steel bullets.

-

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

krazzykats_2-1678060961854.png

54 caliber merrill carbine three ring minie ball bullet

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

https://www.detecting.us/civil-war-related-pages-guides-history-references/civilwarbullets/

So I don't know what you have, because I'm reasonably certain there were no iron / steel bullets.

Indeed, I'd do more research because that reference linked above shows the bottom of the Civil War bullets were usually concave which doesn't match what the OP has.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

You might find this forum to be a good reference @toolbelt_woman :

https://civilwartalk.com/forums/small-arms-ammunition.93/

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

krazzykats_2-1678060961854.png

54 caliber merrill carbine three ring minie ball bullet

But that is lead, not steel or iron.

-

-

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Everything I read says lead was used in the civil war ammunition.   Sometimes they added a little something else to the metal mix.

Civil War Relic Hunting for Bullets | MetalDetector.com

There are also modern reproductions done with other metals.  

"There are also records saying that Confederate states troops used iron instead of lead in their bullets. One theory is Confederate troops did this because they had many melted-down church bells and other church artifacts they could use for ammunition. Another is that they wanted to make their fights unfair by using nonstandard materials against their enemies."

KrazzyKats

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The Minie Ball

• Civil War Bullet Materials Civil War bullets were made out of soft lead and were not designed to go through a person's body. ...

KrazzyKats

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Yes, it's them being made of iron which really has me stumped, because all of the Civil War bullets I've seen are the lead ones with the white patina. The little bump on the bottom is unique too, not quite like a bore cleaner round.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, I will check it out!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Great link and article! Wow, it may be that these are some of those made from other materials. I don't think they are reproductions; I knew the man I got them from pretty well and he wasn't the type to pull my leg. He had a big can full of them for 25 cents each and I got a handful.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@toolbelt_woman wrote:

Great link and article! Wow, it may be that these are some of those made from other materials. I don't think they are reproductions; I knew the man I got them from pretty well and he wasn't the type to pull my leg. He had a big can full of them for 25 cents each and I got a handful.

Yes, Krazzykats'  link was interesting.  I'm still doubtful, based on the overall look and the fact that the

these appear to be solid steel/iron and have the button bottom -- but as I said, I don't know much beyond having seen my late brothers' collections.

If you learn what they are at Wastingtime's' link, please come back to share it with us and with people who might find the thread later.

Hope you get 'em ID'ed!

-

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thanks, will get back if I find out anything definitive!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply