cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guy Buffet French Waiter

I wish I knew more about art pieces and prints.  But I want to learn as much as I can, and can take criticism fairly well.

This is my first piece I felt that might be "something," but what?

I am clueless how to tell what medium was used, and whether it is a copy, or something else.

This guy was framed.  I undid the frame, and it broke the glass337897962_745772040601855_3657496652794912180_n.jpg336796482_2187941988061497_1853760650330833312_n.jpg337697731_556285633019533_3638844009245877454_n.jpg337687400_2472541746237928_2483204952484928983_n.jpg

I pulled a corner of it back from the matte it was mounted on, and that didn't really help me much...

...that is when I decided to come here for help.  Maybe should have done that first.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Guy Buffet French Waiter

You could try reaching out to his Gallery.

Limited Edition Prints - Images | Guy Buffet

It is likely a limited edition print. His originals appear to be acrylic on canvas and from what I can see by the back in your picture it doesnt look like canvas. Canvas originals are almost never placed under glass with matting as it promotes problems with degradation due to humidity being trapped. However, I am not an expert. He has many many "waiter" images and I dont see this particular one.

Bummer about taking it apart, since framing is quite expensive. I once long ago apprenticed as a framer and sometimes the framing work costs as much as a print. A frame shop can reassemble it with new glass for you.

Best wishes.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Guy Buffet French Waiter

You need to use at least a 10x magnifying glass and examine the details of the printing technique. It looks like this is a half-tone reproduction (officially called 'offset lithography' ) of the original art work. It is composed of small dots most of the time of three different cyan, magenta and yellow + black. Higher quality reproductions use more colors .

half-tone.JPG

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Guy Buffet French Waiter

He is not a true sommelier or waiter...the bottle is Pierre Jouet Champagne from France. It is a magnum (supposedly)....meaning for more than 2 people. Waiter only has 2 glasses. True sommeliers would never carry such a bottle like that....should be cradle in the arm. 

Probably done by a novice person or company.

The bottle's name should be shown completely...it isn't...so its not to publicize the champagne..by the maker of the champagne of the company...Shame...otherwise it would be worth something.

I am a retired Court of Master Sommelier.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Guy Buffet French Waiter

Lithography is the same process used to print newspaper or magazine pictures. Look for the little dots.

Lithographic prints can be made by the tens of thousands with no loss of quality.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that image before in a mall shop selling "art by the yard".

Decorative but not valuable.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Guy Buffet French Waiter

"Waiter only has 2 glasses." A magnum and two glasses; sounds like a good problem to have. 😂

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Guy Buffet French Waiter

You most likely have an offset print and if you do a Google image search you will see many like yours.    If you look at it through a good magnifier and see regular tiny dots - this will confirm that you have a mechanically produced offset print.   Here is what may the same print sold by Walmart in frame  (check the measurements to see if yours is the same size.):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moulin-de-la-Galette-I-2x-Matted-24x31-Large-Black-Ornate-Framed-Art-Prin...

Rita

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Guy Buffet French Waiter

But that is brand new from a retailer. At the end of most estate sales. there is a stack of unsold prints leaning against the wall and on the floor. I have seen framed examples by this artist under the heading of "Any Print $5.00".

Reality.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Guy Buffet French Waiter

Yes and the Walmart price should not be used as a price "comp" for listing on eBay - it's based mostly on the cost of the new frame and matting.   

Rita

Message 9 of 9
latest reply