cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fossilized Shark Teeth ID Help

C69A2035-1B2C-4B55-B8D9-3A57D2C4D1A5.jpeg

Hello,
I am trying to find out more information about some shark teeth I recently acquired. They are not serrated so from what I can find the appear to be Giant Mako? Trying also to figure out the approximate area they are from?
the largest tooth is approximately 58 mm long (just over two inches), width is 39 mm. Smallest is 48 mm long x 29 mm wide.
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

7F84E6BA-BB4E-4BAD-9292-9A1FD1025B6C.jpeg

5963239D-3F7C-402A-8993-DE3CF87F750D.jpeg

6137A024-C230-4E34-A286-3DBEBE43D452.jpeg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Fossilized Shark Teeth ID Help

They look like C. Megaladon to me. The size of their teeth ranges from 1/2 to 7 inches.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you. I read that Megaladon teeth have serrated edges, can they have no serrations?
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If you are on Facebook there are fossil groups that could answer that question. The following link goes to one that looks like a very active group dedicated to Megalodon teeth, etc. It is closed so you will have to ask to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/272509629600888/

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

When I did a Google image search on identify fossil shark teeth I saw multitudes of charts, posters, photos, and other aids to identifying fossil shark teeth, sorting out the replicas from the real, etc.  Were none of them useful?

https://www.google.com/search?q=identify+fossil+shark+teeth&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFw...

I noticed there were You Tube videos, too, which you might want to check into if you haven't already.

How I wish I had a shark's ability to just shed my worn and damaged teeth and replace 'em with a new set. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply