cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Etching Notation Etc.

Aside from not being able to read the artist's name and title of this 10"x12" etching (any help in this regard would be much appreciated) - what does the "c III" at the extreme right indicate?  Is it an edition? I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate to 103.

Thanks and happy new year!

Ritaboy etching (4).jpgboy etching (5).JPGboy etching (2).JPGboy etching (6).JPG

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Etching Notation Etc.

Rita, no expertise here...just wild guesses that are probably red herrings down a blind alley.

-Could the C III be some kind of reference to the etching process rather than to a series of prints?

-I think copper plates are used to print some etchings...so maybe 1/10 c III could be shorthand for something like "this is the first of ten prints from the third copper plate".

-Or  the c III could be "third compound of acid used".

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Etching Notation Etc.

@maxine*j wrote:

All I can think of is something like Version 3, or Edition 3, or Series 3.  Yeah, a lot of help, huh?

Thanks Maxine, then I am sure that's what it means, trusting your opinion as I do.   I wonder if the "c" is a word in a different language that means the same as edition or some synonym thereof.  I played around with Google translate but haven't come up with anything.

Rita

Message 17 of 17
latest reply