cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay discourages buyers from reporting listings.

What a convoluted system Ebay has when you try to report something. Obviously Ebay is trying to discourage potential buyers from reporting anything with the way reporting choices are listed. Have never in my life seen such a mess of choices worded to confuse the buyers. I stopped using Ebay years ago and see nothing has changed as far as reporting bogus listings. I get it though, there are so many fraudulent listings and listings not following guidelines that the staff would never be able to keep up. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ebay discourages buyers from reporting listings.

And it's not going to get any better. 

Hundreds of thousands of things are misrepresented on eBay every day, innocently os intentionally.  You can't police the place and eBay can't, either, even if it wanted to.

With well over a billion listings from 25 millions sellers, there is not enough staff, expertise, or time in the world to investigate most reports, and eBay cannot merely accept anything they are told by anyone and start pulling listings.

What if the report is from a rival seller trying to kill the competition, or from someone unqualified to make a determination, or from someone with a personal grudge? The list of spurious reasons for reporting is long.

If you were a seller, how you would react if you had listings pulled by eBay based on nothing more than a report by an anonymous person, whose knowledge or motives remain unknown to eBay and to you?

So, yeah, it's always caveat emptor when you shop on eBay.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Hacked account or maybe the seller is fishing for buyers personal information to add to their identity theft database?

No one could sell this at that price with free shipping from China.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Hacked account

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Doesn't mean they can't make the reporting choices more intuitive and easier to understand. So why does Ebay have the report seller link if there is no intention of actually doing something about it?  And why does it have to be so confusing? I can spot a fake a mile away too and I am only searching Peace Dollars and there are a lot of listings that don't follow guidelines or are a complete fraud. The reporting system the way it is takes too much time and is worded so poorly nobody knows what it means. But the harder something is the less likely it will be used. This is a shining example. I rarely buy anything off Ebay anymore. In years past I have spent at least 20 thousand dollars but there are so many scams now I won't take the chance. No need for a reply. I understand completely.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@awardmedal wrote:

...So why does Ebay have the report seller link if there is no intention of actually doing something about it?...

Why?  In my opinion?  In my opinion, the report function is there mostly for VeRO reports;  i.e., it is there to protect the owners of trademarks and copyrights.  A secondary function is to satisfy government agencies that there is a mechanism for reporting violations of The Indian Arts & Crafts Act, CITES Treaty, etc.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

VeRO reports are not made through the report link on the listing. There is a separate reporting process for VeRO reports. eBay often doesn't take any visible/apparent action on counterfeit reports made through the report link, possibly because this can and has been used fraudulently by competitors trying to take other seller's listings down.

eBay does take action on listings that are reported through the Report link, although it is not always possible to see any action. I have seen listings taken down, and I have also seen listings that should be taken down but aren't. I can't explain why not in most cases.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

VeRO reports are not made through the report link on the listing. There is a separate reporting process for VeRO reports.

Sorry,  My mistake, and thank your for the correction. 

I could have sworn that was an option, at least at one time.  I know that "copyright and trademark" are still on the pull-down menu, but I guess they are for other than VeRO reports.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yes, you remember correctly. You can report items for copyright and trademark, but that is different from a VeRO report, because that report can be made by any eBay member.

Ordinary reports from random eBay members have to be investigated, and action will be taken if the circumstances appear to be warrant it, presumably. We can only hope that the investigation is reasonable, prompt, and effective.

VeRO reports are only accepted from the rights owner, or their legal representative. They have to make a legal representation of that in order for the reports to be accepted. The rights owner/representative is presumed to be knowledgable enough to identify infringing listings, and their reports are taken at their word. With a VeRO takedown, the seller will be given an email address to try to contact the VeRO with, and although there is no requirement that the rights owner communicate with the seller, there are actions the seller can take if they feel that the VeRO takedown was undeserved.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the added info.  Having never reported a listing, I admit to not knowing all the ins and outs.

Actually, it always surprises me that people expect eBay to inspect listings for accuracy, while giving a pass to others.  I mean, every antiques, collectibles, junk, and used what-not shop in North America has plenty of misidentified and/or misrepresented merchandise, yet no one gets all fired up and thinks the owner of the space where the times are offered  ought to confront the sellers and set things right, by gosh!

People who trade on eBay accept the User Agreement which says: "Also, while we may help facilitate the resolution of disputes through various programs, eBay has no control over and does not guarantee: the existence, quality, safety or legality of items advertised; the truth or accuracy of users' content or listings; the ability of sellers to sell items; the ability of buyers to pay for items; or that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction or return an item."

I think that covers it.  😃

Message 11 of 11
latest reply