cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does oil painting have to be signed by elephant or chimp to be authenticated?

I find many marvelous works of art. I suspect some were done by very talented elephants, chimps, gorillas etc. who worked at zoos. Does someone like Coco the gorilla have to sign the art work in order to be authenticated or can experts tell by the brush strokes and style who did it?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Assuming this is not a joke post, or a post to get views on your items, I will give you a serious answer:

I own such works and in every case, the facility, whether public or private, which kept the animal and sold the art clearly marked each work with the facility's official imprint, the date, and the animal's name.

Every work by Koko the gorilla, and I assume that's the gorilla you mean, is clearly identified and usually has a title, as well.

So trying to pass off random daubs as artwork by animals will not work unless you are hoping to take advantage of ignorant buyers.

-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I'm glad you corrected me about Koko's name. I didn't mean to show lack of respect by calling the gorilla Coco like in coconut. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Koko taking a break after a long day at the easel.koko.jpg

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Gosh!  She looks all done in!

The real Koko, who liked to mess about with her paints:

Koko-the-gorilla.jpg

Somewhere, I have a photo of an elephant painting a work I once owned and later sold to a collector in France.  If I can locate it, I'll send it to you.

-

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

P.S.  One auction of Koko's paintings, although some of the value was doubtless that Betty White, who was dedicated to animal welfare, owned them:

https://www.julienslive.com/lot-details/index/catalog/426/lot/187343

-

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Truth be known, this is a toy from a museum gift shop in SF. I got it  from a friend after getting into a wreck. She said the cause for said wreck was that I had no spirit animal in the car to guide me. 🦍

Message 7 of 7
latest reply