cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged item scam

Hello all,

I don't usually post here, but I am getting super frustrated. I've been selling on eBay for decades and there were always those buyers you had to worry about.

Most recently I have been bombarded with "my item arrived broken" messages.  Have not had shipping issues for years and I am not doing anything different.

Once the first one left a neutral feedback (inspite  of full refund), they just kept coming. Like as if a green light was given...

Upon checking, I have noticed that this seems to be a newfound "hobby" for some of them: receiving broken items, getting refunds and leaving neutral feedbacks.  Infact I just sold another piece today to a buyer who have left 6 neutral and 2 negative feedbacks for broken items in the last few months for multiple sellers; never before though; and it worries me.

I am starting to wonder if instead of returning items they don't like (I offer no questions asked returns), they just break them and get full refund w/ shipping cost, knowing sellers have no recourse. There is absolutely no way that I have 4 broken items in the last 2 months.

Just wanted to see if anybody else is noticing this trend?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Damaged item scam

you can't do business with some countries. I like to let an agent help me buy things in ebay. The shipping fee is cheap and there is no China import tax.

last  time I asked my agent to buy something from Uruguay, but the agent refused to do this deal.

What I said is not necessarily the answer you want, it JUST is for reference only.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The OP's question was asked as a SELLER.

Your reply is based on he fact that you are a BUYER.

Not quite the same problem.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Scams are scams for both buyers and sellers, and both will suffer financial losses.

Scammer do never care what role they play.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I hope you are blocking the buyers you see are doing this.   You do have recourse, you can report them to eBay as scammers.  You can also refuse to issue a refund until they return the item.  

Rita

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I am blocking. Also I asked for return the first 2 times...but once neutral was left anyway. So I figured I would approach it differently and not cause any additional frustration to the buyer in order to avoid more bad feedback. But that doesn't even seem to matter.

I do realize neutral is not bad, but when all of the sudden you see numerous neutrals on a feedback profile, it may make future buyers wonder what is going on. It also seems to invite this type of activity.

I can't report anything, I have no proof it is a scam, just a feeling.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

What you have sold appears to not fit the profile of products which appeal to the mass of scammers.

I would be concerned that your packaging and choice of carrier might not be adequate for 2024. I can certainly accept that you have a long history of packaging and shipping, but I would strongly recommend revisiting your packaging methods.

And if you are shipping via FEDEX Ground, consider another carrier, but I suspect if you were using them you would have more broken items than 4 out of 160.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I took a look at your neutrals.  One appears to be just an uninformed buyer not meaning illwill.  One was for a missing piece.   Only two were for broken items.  So maybe your packaging for more fragile items needs to be upgraded - things these days are not treated well by carriers.  Also write "Fragile" on the package.  

Rita

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yeah, the "uninformed buyer" was for the same issue. Like I mentioned, I do the best I can...double box when necessary, loads of bubble wrap, tons of packing paper (not so packed that it would crush anything, but firm enough not to move around) and got my fragile stickers all over the package...if it is glass, I even write Glass on in red sharpie in addition to the fragile stickers. I ship via USPS like I always have, I found them to be the most reliable and fastest. I mean an occasional broken item is inevitable, but what got my attention is how some buyer's seem to receive soooo many broken items from reputable sellers in the first 1-2 pages of their feedbacks left...and never before. Always something like: "received damaged, full refund received". IDK, just finding it strange.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply