cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Confucius roof tile

I didn't want to hog the roof tile thread but thought this would be a good time to ask about my Chinese roof tile. Does anyone know how mine would have been used andaroof1.jpgaroof2.jpg the meaning of it?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Chinese Confucius roof tile

i am living in china ,never see this one even in a photo.

may be korea or japan brick?

need answer🙄

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The round portrait is of a different material than the brick, possibly stoneware slip or porcelain.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Could it possibly from the splendid China theme park? It was near Disney and they tore it down. Everything was auctioned off. There were many statues and bricks. Just an observation.

Judy

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@judy181garden wrote:

Could it possibly from the splendid China theme park? It was near Disney and they tore it down. Everything was auctioned off. There were many statues and bricks. Just an observation.

Judy

Gosh!  I had never even heard of the Splendid China Theme Park in Florida.   I'll bet that abandoned park has been the source of more than one "ancient Chinese artifact" flogged on eBay.  😄

The park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splendid_China_(Florida)

-

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The size of the bricks used in that Great Wall:

The park's replica of the Great Wall took nearly seven million 1-inch (25 mm) long bricks and stretched about .5 miles.

Note the house where my brick is photographed in front of. Actual brick size 8.2".

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that your brick / tile came from the theme park.  You know your onions and, besides, it's especially unlikely given that you live on the other side of the country from the place.  But you know how many "ancient artifacts" are flogged on eBay, and I was just laughing at the idea of yet one more source for them.  Also, I was surprised at myself for never having heard of the park.

-

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Let's be clear, I have never handled stolen miniature bricks  or bricks of any size. But in all fairness, I did trade a rock to the slow kid down the street for a baseball glove. I told him the rock was mined at the quarry that Fred Flintstone worked at. 😎

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I call it a "brick" only because I can't keep from seeing it that way.  I don't know enough about roofing to see how it could have been laid, or why it would be decorated that way, and it's so porous now that it would never keep the weather out.

I will tell you a funny story, though.  I have about half a dozen bricks that I use for various household projects and chores, such as weighing down something that is being glued or I want to try to flatten.  I have them in a box on the floor of the closet that houses my water heater.  Recently, the heater needed maintenance.  The guy was moving the box out of the way and said, "Man!  It feels like you have bricks in here!"   And I enjoyed the look on his face when I said, "Actually, I do."

-

Message 9 of 9
latest reply