cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help me identify these brass military? items?

Good Morning,

Thank you in advance.  I purchase vintage and antique jewelry and discovered these brass items in my lot.  Could they be military? buttons or buckles?   There is a star under a ribbon which leads me to believe so.    No markings on the back.  I would appreciate any insight.

Sincerely,

RhinestoneGreyounds

RhinestoneGreyhoundIMG_5802.jpegIMG_5803.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can you help me identify these brass military? items?

Knowing the size would help. There's usually quite a difference in size between a button and a buckle.

I don't see anything military about them. 

They look to my eye be  typical, square shank, decorative faux "coat of arms" / "livery" buttons (assuming they are button-sized) that have been popular for 150 years or more for coats, heavier sweaters, and the like.

-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks so much for your reply.  They measure 2.25” in diameter.  Much appreciated.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@rhinestonegreyhounds wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply.  They measure 2.25” in diameter.  Much appreciated.

At that size, I'd say they're too big for buttons. 

My next guess would be that they are  bridle rosettes.  You can take a look through these images of bridle rosettes to see what I mean:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bridle+rosettes&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiCnKfLtsmAAxXMF...

-

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yes!!!  Bridle rosettes I have had them in decorative glass.  Thanks so much!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@rhinestonegreyhounds,

What are the measurements? Diameter, and how big a strap would fit through the loops?

I was going to suggest bridle rosettes, but I see that @maxine*j beat me to it!

Bridle rosettes were commonly used on harness bridles and Western style bridles, as well as military ones. As Maxine said, these don't appear to be military, because if they were, the crest would be more identifiable. The glass ones were mostly used on Western bridles, and brass ones like this were popular for harness bridles (and military).

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@rhinestonegreyhounds,

What are the measurements? Diameter, and how big a strap would fit through the loops?

I was going to suggest bridle rosettes, but I see that @maxine*j beat me to it!

Bridle rosettes were commonly used on harness bridles and Western style bridles, as well as military ones. As Maxine said, these don't appear to be military, because if they were, the crest would be more identifiable. The glass ones were mostly used on Western bridles, and brass ones like this were popular for harness bridles (and military).

Also, it is rare for such military items to have no makers' marks of any kind on them.

-

Message 7 of 7
latest reply