cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me what this is?

This footed brass object is about 5.5" x 2.75" x 1.75".  There are two unmatched holders with grooves, which suggests that it might be a pen holder.  It's engraved "Mary Steward Hugus (or Augus)/From Her /Scotch Grandfather/1887(?)".   Thanks for any help you can give me.

IMG_2588 (2).JPG

IMG_2586 (3).JPG

IMG_2597 (2).JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I wonder if the form might be for a lady's curling iron.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The photos could do with being sharper, but I'm fairly sure her name will turn out to be Mary Stewart Angus (not Steward, Hugus, or Augus).

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I wonder if the form might be for a lady's curling iron.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you, I never thought of that.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Or sealing wax?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

The photos could do with being sharper, but I'm fairly sure her name will turn out to be Mary Stewart Angus (not Steward, Hugus, or Augus).

Very possibly this Mary Stuart Angus (1884-1975):

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/87559953/mary-angus 

Mary's father was born and married in Scotland, so both her grandparents would have been "Scotch" (to use a very outdated adjective):

"James Stewart Angus (1851-1935) was born at Dalreoch, and educated in his father's schools. After a failed attempt to run away to sea, James was sent to live with his aunt Anne Stewart in Dundee, where he attended the High School. He emigrated to the USA around 1874, eventually settling in San Francisco, where he worked in real estate. For a time he also worked for the Wells Fargo Bank. He married May Burton, the daughter of his boss at the bank, and they had two daughters; Mary, who did not marry, and Betsy, who married St. George Holden and had two sons and two daughters."

https://www.familysearch.org/service/records/storage/das-mem/patron/v2/TH-904-78263-3048-44/dist.txt... 

The above link also has plenty of information about Mary's paternal grandfather, William Angus (1826-1889). I haven't bothered to investigate her mother's side of the family, so I don't know when her maternal grandfather died.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Very possibly this Mary Stuart Angus (1884-1975):

That should read Stewart, not Stuart (my typing error, sorry).

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

For  a serving fork and knife set for on the table?

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 8
latest reply