cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me what these 2 pins on this old ribbon say?

Can anyone tell me what these 2 pins on this old ribbon say? Thank you for your help.bill25.jpg

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can anyone tell me what these 2 pins on this old ribbon say?

Yes, now that we've seen the entire thing, the correct orientation should be this one:

large.jpeg

I even wondered about badly-done Cyrillic, but it doesn't seem to be that, either.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 20 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

The script is baffling. I wonder if it could be paleo-Hebrew. Have you any other clues? Did it come along with anything?

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

I wonder if it could be paleo-Hebrew.

Not paleo-Hebrew. I can't think what language it might be.

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Does it make sense in other orientations?

large.jpeglarge.jpeg

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Not to me it doesn't. I really hope someone can shed some light on it, because I'd love to know.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

large.v01.jpeg

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Not to me it doesn't. I really hope someone can shed some light on it, because I'd love to know.

Nor to me.  I just did the last possible orientation and I still don't see anything familiar.  Or, rather, I sort of do, but it's a jumble that makes no overall sense.

I certainly would like to see the entire piece, which could help.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Hmmmthinking Maybe we need Tom Hanks/Robert Langdon in on this one.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

That was the first thing I tried, and it was just as head-scratching, so I didn't post it. The bow and leaf/berry wreath would I think indicate the top, but maybe not.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

@mountaingigi wrote:

That was the first thing I tried, and it was just as head-scratching, so I didn't post it. The bow and leaf/berry wreath would I think indicate the top, but maybe not.

Perhaps.  But in heraldry and in almost all military and civic medals, you'll find the leaves are upright.  The two branches may be crossed at the bottom or open at the bottom, and it's at the bottom (at the cross or the opening) where any sort of bow or other element lies.    Having a bow at the top and downward pointing leaves would be quite unusual.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Yeah, that's why I wrote "or maybe not". Just didn't have the time to go looking for examples, and I knew someone else would. 🙂
Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@mountaingigi wrote:
Yeah, that's why I wrote "or maybe not". Just didn't have the time to go looking for examples, and I knew someone else would. 🙂

I didn't have to go looking for examples.  Believe it or not, there are actually one or two things I know off the top of my head.

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

THank you for all your answers. Here is a picture of the complete ribbon.

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

It isn't even making much sense to me as a physical object. So the two pins basically staple the folded ribbon together?

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

OK.  It's safe to say, I think, that the correct orientation is the usual one, with the leaves pointing up and the bow at the bottom.  Although that doesn't get us much further along, it's something.    Smiley Happy

But, as *argon* says, it's not a ribbon in the sense we were thinking of it -- as part of a medal / award / badge of some sort.  At least, it doesn't look that way.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply