cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me about my family's antique Asian (Japanese?) art tray?

I have a mystery tray that was handed down to me after my grandma passed in 1997. I always understood that my Norwegian great grandparents received it as a wedding gift in 1894 in North Dakota. However,  after doing some research online lately, am I to understand that this is more of an Art Deco piece? If so, then maybe it was a wedding gift to my grandparents in 1929...

It measures about 20"W x 11.75"L. Under the glass is a very pretty scene but I don't know what it's made of  (Possibly painted silk, another painted fabric or something else??)  I also don't know if the handles are resin or painted wood, but they're dark blue in color. It's surrounded by an ornate (wood?) frame and the back is lined with felt.

I've included three photos; one of the overall tray; a closeup of one of the handles where you can also see part of the frame; and one of the back. (In the photo of the front of the tray, unfortunately you may notice reflections of my light fixture above, even though it was turned off and all drapes & blinds were closed.) 

If anyone can provide me with any information about this tray, such as its age, where it was made, how common were they, a possible value (for insurance purposes, as I won't sell it),  anything you can tell me about it... would be greatly appreciated.

Also, another ebay seller has a tray VERY similar to mine for sale. I've contacted him for more information, but he doesn't know much about his either. He thought the artist "could" be "Marigold or Tsanya" but wasn't sure. (I don't know anything about them as I have no knowledge of this type of antique.) You can vew his listing for more photos. (I don't feel it's right to give a direct link to his listing but you could search for "antique asian art serving tray".)

Thank you!

Kaye

Fargo, ND

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Can anyone tell me about my family's antique Asian (Japanese?) art tray?

to my eye, it looks a couple all dressed up for the Carnival of Venice, riding in a gondola under the moonlight.  Even if I'm right, I'm not sure that's much help to you.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thank you, maxine*j, for your reply. After hearing the same thing from the other ebay seller I Googled this artist's work, too, and I found most of her other things to be so drab and dreary in color. The piece that I have is so vibrant, bright and alive! (And pretty.) I'm not saying that this piece wasn't done by her...certainly not...because what do I know? It's just very mysterious that my piece seems so different from so many that are out there. I think I have a lot to learn.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

And I just spent a few minutes searching the web and for the life of me, I can't say if "Marygold" and "Tsanya" were one and the same, or two different people (or barnds).  Evidently, others can't either.  Smiley Frustrated

As for the drabness, I think you're just seeing a lot of faded reproductions, typical of lithographs that old that have been exposed to any light at all.  If you look at Google images (Marygold or Tsanya or Marygold Tsanya), you'll find different copies of the same works -- some colorful and bright, others pale and predominatly blue from fading.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

An example of same reproduction, one badly faded and one less so:

27448740_1_x.jpg

Vintage-1920s-MARYGOLD-TSANYA-Lithograph-USA-Art-Deco.jpg

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I searched for glass topped tray gondola scene and found one that sold for around $150. They didn't have any info about it.
Janet
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Ahhh...yes. That's what I was finding, too. I was confused about the name...is it one name combined or two diff. names or what? (Like you said...) Maybe we'll get more people chiming in on the thread.
And thank you for pointing out the images above. Wow. The reproductions really are faded, aren't they? Good to know. Thanks so much!
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

And, I hasten to say, I'm not sure it's Marygold / Tsanya.  There was a lot of that sort of very romantic artwork around, popular for calendars, too.  If you Google Eugenie Poujol you'll find lovers at the Carnival of Venice, garlands of roses and all, as one example.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

And I just spent a few minutes searching the web and for the life of me, I can't say if "Marygold" and "Tsanya" were one and the same, or two different people (or barnds). 

I don't know if you've seen this interesting piece - the writer thinks they're different:

As it happens, I have several Mary Gold prints too, and while there are many similarities between those works and the Tsanya prints, I see differences, making it fairly easy to distinguish them at a glance. The Tsanya pictures are more refined and detailed, and many of the people have long, angular faces. The Mary Gold pictures are simpler and most of the faces are round.

https://sandyatsps.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-elusive-tsanya.html

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Yes, I read that, as it happens.  It's one of the opinions that made me realize I didn't have the resolve to research the issue much further, especially given how many other artists (known and unknown) could have done the work on OP's tray.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

If it was Japanese for that time period there would be a stamp with red or black ink indicating made in Japan and usually the symbol for the person who made it. This looks more European and the person who suggested Venice maybe correct.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

This was a popular style in the 1920s, the romantic Venice/carnival scenes or other historical romance scenes. And the style and subject was seen in a lot of graphic art in magazines as well as decorative pieces like this tray.  You may never find the artist.

What I find notable is that the dot matrix (in blue) isn't screened (as part of the photographic process like a comic book), but each dot individually drawn by the artist like cross hatching. This pattern could be a kind of fingerprint.

Until I found Marigold or Tsanya working in this method, I would tend to rule them out as the designer/artist.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for that information.
Would this be a lithograph then, in your opinion ?
And do you suppose the frame and the handles would be made of wood?
Also, would the felt on the back be original or would it have been lined with something else originally? (I can't imagine anyone in the family opening the tray and then putting felt on the back, so my 'guess' is that it is original.)
To try to find out more information on this piece, do you (or anyone else here) have any suggestions on how I might try to find out more? I know the information on these pieces seem pretty elusive, but I would think someone must know something more. I'm hoping to get into the Antiques Roadshow when they come to Fargo but so far, I haven't been able to snag a ticket.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

It is likely lithograph, though it could be silk screened.

It looks like it is wood, yes. I've seen bakelite handles on art deco trays, but usually from the 1930s.

I didn't want to say something, but the felt looks replaced, or the original may never have had felt and felt added because it scratched surfaces. Old felt on an object like this can get worn or wet.

It seems like a lot of leg work to find the artist. I might compare art deco 1920s trays for sale to see if one has a matching boarder trim and handles, perhaps you can find a manufacturer.

Otherwise, scour 1923-1929 advertising, decorative arts, prints etc. looking for a similar drawing style with use of this type of dot matrix. You might find a greeting card of a cat, say or an illustration of a house in a home magazine, they sometimes list illustrators. It would seem to me like a needle in the haystack, but if you are determined you might find the clues you are looking for.

If you could find the tray manufacturer, you might look at illustrators in that city or seek out local art colleges and universities, historical societies, museums etc who may know of that commercial artist.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply