cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help? Stone Primitive Carved Head

Hello folks. I've been carrying this piece around with me for years now, and its time to hopefully identify it. The piece measures about 2.5" tall. It has a shiny finish, almost polished.  The nose holes do NOT go all the way through to the back. There is a hole on the top of it's head.  . There are drill holes where eyes should be and holes where the nose should be. Its clearly stone. Absolutely no markings at all. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can anyone help? Stone Primitive Carved Head

I think the image is a Mesoamerican artifact.   Olmec, possibly.   Unless someone comes along who can positively identify it for you, I'd say it's worth your while to research along that line. 

When it was made I cannot say, but most "Pre-Columbian" artifacts one comes across these days are of recent manufacture.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Macro close-ups (in crisp focus) of the holes would help.  Do any of the holes go all the way thru?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

One of the pictures makes it look flattish, and it's quite small, so I wondered about that one hole at the top, too.  If it goes through, maybe this is a necklace pendant...? 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Also, I'm trying to see how the holes are drilled and need those close-ups to tell.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When they drilled (by hand) the suspension holes for pendants they would drill half way thru and then flip it over and drill in from the other side to meet up with the other side. This would reduce the risk of breakage and is the gold standard to see where the two holes meet which increases the odds vastly that it is real. There are fakes though...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Never mind.  I deleted text here because I realized I was mis-seeing something.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply