cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Anyone Please Tell Me What This Is Or What It's Used For?

Hello, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what this is. It's very heavy and I think it's marble, but I'm not sure.

It's 11 1/2 inches long, 10 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches tall. The circular depression is about 1 inch deep. It's too shallow to be called a bowl. It doesn't look like an ash tray or a mortar. The top is smooth and polished while the underside is rough. It has green felt on the bottom.

I got it at an estate sale and believe it's at least 60 years old. Can anyone please tell me what it is or what it was used for? Thanks so much!DSCN0976.JPGDSCN0977.JPGDSCN0979.JPGDSCN0980.JPGDSCN0981.JPG

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Can Anyone Please Tell Me What This Is Or What It's Used For?

A chopping bowl for use with a mezzaluna (half-moon) knife?

If you google mezzaluna chopping bowl, most of them are wooden, but they look like this. The size seems to be about right.

Yours doesn't appear to have been used much at all, though. It's very pretty.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Wow! I never would have thought of that. That could be what it is. Thanks so much.
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@druther1501 wrote:
It doesn't look like an ash tray

It does to me.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Wouldn't an ash tray have little depressions to hold the cigarette? That's the only reason I didn't think it looks like an ash tray. I suppose it could be.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

A chopping bowl for use with a mezzaluna (half-moon) knife?

An interesting idea, but I don't think so.  Marble is a poor chopping surface, and hard on the blade.  The asymmetrical shape would make it unstable for chopping, and the unfinished bottom and sides would be hard to keep clean in a kitchen.  (The felt would be impossible to keep clean, although I know it could have been added as an afterthought.)   Just my two cents.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@druther1501 wrote:
It doesn't look like an ash tray

It does to me.

And to me, too. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@druther1501 wrote:
Wouldn't an ash tray have little depressions to hold the cigarette? That's the only reason I didn't think it looks like an ash tray. I suppose it could be.

Many ashtrays lack a shaped resting place for the cigarette / cigar, as a quick google image search will confirm.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@druther1501 wrote:

Isn't that a rough depression to the left of the first photo? Here's something similar, down to the green supporting felt:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Stone-Ashtray-Marble-Granite-Soapstone-Brown-Beige-Man-Cave-Bar-/...

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the link. There's no depression around the bowl. It's completely smooth. I appreciate your input!
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@druther1501 wrote:
Thanks for the link. There's no depression around the bowl. It's completely smooth. I appreciate your input!

Ah, sorry. I was misled by the veining in the photo. Onyx for the material? (Subject to others' opinions).

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ashtray or decorative bowl makes sense. If it was intended for food prep the constant washing would ruin the felt (as already noted by Maxine).

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Very good point!
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I would also say ashtray.

Radine

Message 15 of 26
latest reply