Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bird decoy

collectingdomeng1_0-1649539390901.jpeg

collectingdomeng1_1-1649539390901.jpeg

  

collectingdomeng1_2-1649539390899.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I need a little help with this poor old duck. I love the distressed look of it though. The signature says O. Peterson 1955, but he passed in 1951 .  Any help would be great!

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Bird decoy

I didn't do a lengthy search, but I looked several of O(scar) Peterson's duck decoys that sold at major auction houses and none of them were signed on the bottom like this.  He was, of course, far more famous for his fish decoys, anyhow.

So, given that and given that and the 1951 date for his death, I think it's safe to rule out the famous  O. Peterson as the carver.

Unfortunately, Peterson is a fairly common surname and the O could be Oscar, Orville, Oliver, Otto, Omar, Oswald, et al.

By the way, is this actually decoy-sized, or is it just a little carving?  I agree that it has charm.

-

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thank for your reply! It is 11” long. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@collectingdomeng1 wrote:

Thank for your reply! It is 11” long. 

Big enough to be used as an actual decoy, then.    It doesn't look familiar to me as a particular species of North American waterfowl, but decoys often aren't realistic designs.

Sorry I can't be of much help. 

-

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The way the letters are made would you be able to tell the difference between a D & O?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I know very little about duck decoys, but like most collectible items they can no doubt be faked. Certainly, Peterson's fish decoys seem to attract the unscrupulous:

"The work of Michigan's Oscar Peterson seems to provide an unlimited opportunity for forgers."

http://www.fishdecoy.com/fake.html 

https://vault.si.com/vault/1994/05/30/collectors-catch-colorful-hand-carved-decoys-have-become-incre... 

I wouldn't discount the theory that the the idea here was to make a quick buck at the expense of some eager buyer, faced with making a quick choice and impressed by the sight of a famous name ("what if...?"). The impossible date would have safeguarded the seller against the charge of intentional fakery, if challenged.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

What you say is possible.  I sometimes think that decoys are the single most-faked item for sale in the U.S. antiques and collectibles market.

That's especially true of the fish decoys, which are for ice fishing with a spear or gig.  There really aren't that many places in the U.S. with Winters that make for ice fishing. 

-

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

4EA421E9-E19D-42E2-8A49-BFB9CD670A6F.jpeg

  I think it’s an O , because the O in Peterson is the same. Could be a D?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

E3F198D5-6E6B-45F2-A61C-438E53513D56.jpeg

After researching a little more, I found an Oscar Peterson from the Star Lake Peterson’s. This picture was taken in 1979

Message 9 of 9
latest reply