cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barnum Bailey Circus Paper Items Circa 1890

I have a number of circus stamped paper items. They vary in size between 4" inches in height to about 10"inches. There are about 30 of them. 

They came from a large paper collection that we recently acquired that looks to be from the late 1800's. I am trying to identify what exactly they are. Are they from a board game? Promotional material?

Any information would be very helpful. Possible valuations would also be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Barnum Bailey Circus Paper Items Circa 1890

Your pictures aren't showing up.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

For some reason the images did not show up. So I will try posting them again. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Hi Sonoma.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just re-uploaded the images again.  Hopefully they work this time. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Is there text on your circus images that specifically mentions Barnum & Bailey? If there are any clues at all on the back of your items then a photo of the backs would be helpful.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Are there marks or printing on the back. If you look close on the sides are there small paper niches like they were once attached. They use to sell sheets of die-cut lithos of different subject matters for scrapbookers back in the day. If I remember about 8x10 inch or so. Most were generic but I had a few that were of actual people places or things. Really need to see the backs. Not great value, depends on subject matter. I am not a circus professional but if they are generic I would not place a great premium on them. If they are specific to a particular circus, that a different story.

Good luck

Good luck

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

If printing on back, they look like trimmed n268 circus scenes. there were 25 in the series, size 57mm by 102mm when complete rectangle card. sensational cut plug tobacco cards. had other makers too. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

see closed auctions Lorillard tobacco card

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@collectfest wrote:

see closed auctions Lorillard tobacco card

Interesting - one of the 1888 Lorillard N268 cards you mention is clearly a variant of the clown & horse design, however it isn't quite identical:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LORILLARD-CIRCUS-SCENES-1-CARD-HORSE-WITH-CLOWN-ON-TRICYCLE-/223397956874...

But the clown, dog & chairs image doesn't seem to belong to the series. This site shows 24 of the 25 cards in the series (perhaps it's the missing one?):

https://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2006/spring/1352/1888-n268-lorillard-circus-scenes-near...

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hello and thank you for all of your assistance. There are no markings in the back. However some of them came in sleeves that had a note attach to them that mentioned Barnum Bailey circus. Here are the other paper items from the collection. If you recognize that have appeared in other formats (such as tobacco cards) any I would be very grateful. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hello and thank you for all of your inputs. Unfortunately there are no markings on the back whatsoever. I just posted the remaining items from the collection. If you recognize any that have appeared in other formats (ie tobacco cards) I would greatly appreciate it. 

Cindy

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

These are called Victorian Scraps. You can google that to find out more about them. They were used for scrapbooking (that's where the name scrapbook came from), and kids to paste onto things. The originals were from the 1880s and 1890s, but they have been reproduced a lot.

Here's a listing that has some of the same scraps as you have.

www.ebay.com/itm/1880s-Lovely-Lot-of-Die-Cut-Scrap-Circus-Elephant-Victorian-Paper-Toys-K/1227940044...

Message 12 of 12
latest reply