cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Wood Bench or Saddle-Base ID help

I've had this stool for some years, but only took a closer look recently. I had somehow thought this was a Camel Saddle, however it doesn't much resemble any of the saddles I'm seeing online, and also I realized it's unlikely because the legs are too close together.  I haven't thought much of it, but again, recently I turned it over to explore the underside, expecting to see some screws from more recent times, though what I'm seeing are perhaps, tacks? Does anyone have any insight into what this was used for, or when it was made?

Thanks

stool1.jpgstool2.jpgstool3.jpgstool4.jpgstool5.jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I'm no expert, but I would think  that "tacks" underneath possibly denote that there was once an upholstered cushion on top, the tacks fastening the cover to the bottom.

Good luck! 😎

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@mobileman67 wrote:

I'm no expert, but I would think  that "tacks" underneath possibly denote that there was once an upholstered cushion on top, the tacks fastening the cover to the bottom.

Good luck! 😎

It looks too primitive to me to ever have had an upholstered top.  OP - what are the dimensions?  

Rita

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I wouldn't think someone would put a saddle on something so beat up.  But then, not everone can afford a good saddle stand.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

no clue what it was made for, but it definitely looks like it was made for a specific purpose...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

American, 19th century and I think it is a specific use harness makers bench missing the "ears". The ears should be mounted in the other direction though.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I think it's some sort of workbench, too, and harness-maker's is as good an idea as any.  

Guessing  about the size (and I can only guess, since OP doesn't say) and looking at the differently-set legs, my first thought was a bench to straddle  -- so a workbench of some sort (e.g.,  harness maker's, cobbler's, cooper's), or the main part of one.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

American, 19th century and I think it is a specific use harness makers bench missing the "ears". The ears should be mounted in the other direction though.

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

More https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=harness+makers+bench&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&...

I agree that this was probably made for a specific usage, which would explain the odd characteristics like the mis-matched legs, if we knew what the intended use was.

However, I don't think that this could have been a harness maker's bench, because there is no sign that this bench ever had the upright parts which made a clamp, or the lever mechanism underneath the bench (which was used to put pressure on the clamp). You can see these in most of the pictures on the link above.

I worked one summer as a harness repairman, fixing standardbred racing harnesses, while I was working my way through university. So I've used these before, and I'm familiar with how they are used. I can't see how the OP's bench could have been used as a harnessmaker's bench.

There could have been any number of uses for a bench around a farm, or workshop.  Maybe the stool was made to be used in a specific location, and the floor space wasn't big enough to allow the legs to fit if they were splayed at both ends.

It's definitely not a saddle of any kind though, and wouldn't have been very useful as a saddle stand.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I tend to keep well clear of woodwork and furniture-related questions, as my ignorance is deep. But it seems to me that something was once attached here:

area.png

Is there anything similar on the other end?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

"and I think it is a specific use harness makers bench"

I put in "specific use" to set it apart from the thousands of other harness maker benches. 

As we dont have the missing pieces someone will have to figure it out.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I've seen no tell how many similar benches, especially around Amish auctions.  Could have been used for anything.  I with Argon that something was attached to one end.  However I also agree with lacemaker, it's not a harness makers bench for reasons lacemaker stated.   In my opinion the harness makers clamp could not have been fastened to the end.   What could have (I guess) been attached would be some sort of cobblers anvil or last.   

Message 13 of 13
latest reply