cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Planter or Vase Base w. 4 Bull Heads - what exactly is this?

Hello

I need your expertise. I have this elaborately decorated metal base...I believe it to be a vase or a planter base. It weighs about 7 - 8 lbs.  with a upper opening about 4.24" diameter.  It seems to be a place for  a vessel to sit in.  Stands about 6.25" tall with 4 legs (bovine legs with hooves) supporting the upper portion that has 4 bulls heads. Silver in tone but I don't believe it's silver and I don't believe it's silver plated either. The's small spots where plating seems to be missing. I brushed a small area with baking soda and there was no appreciable difference, just slight cleaning improvement. The structure is solid but there are cracks on the inner portion that seem to be from the manufacturing. There is oxidation inside the cracks, indicating substantial age to those cracks. - Thank you for looking.  Here's some photos. (SeMetal BaseMetal BaseFrom aboveFrom aboveIn the sunlightIn the sunlight

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Antique Planter or Vase Base w. 4 Bull Heads - what exactly is this?

So, why did I suggest an au jus dish? Well, it's got four beef related images on it and it was common in old time days to have imagery on serving pieces related to what was being served in said dish. Really, check it out on google.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Suggest you download Lens on your Smartphone. It's from Google. Either upload an existing photo or take a photo through Lens. Lens will analyze it and give you best matches that might answer your question.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes Google Lens is extremely helpful.   It can very easily be accessed on a computer too.   Just right click on the photo and select "search image with Google Lens."   

Rita

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Could it be a large a "salt cellar"?  Is the bottom open or closed?

Rita

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Whatever it is, it's missing the glass insert and possibly the lid. I don't see anything to hold ice so maybe for a dry condiment or a hot sauce like au jus.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It's open. - I didn't consider it might have had a lid and perhaps with a bowl under that lid......I was thinking a vase or something projecting over and above the opening.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thank you.  I think you nailed it.  I imagine the glass insert held a food item related to beef, ergo the bulls.  Yes....I do think it was once with a lid.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

So, why did I suggest an au jus dish? Well, it's got four beef related images on it and it was common in old time days to have imagery on serving pieces related to what was being served in said dish. Really, check it out on google.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Is the bottom open ? It looks like a kettle burner stand 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@unclekipsy 

I did your Google lens on this, all I'm getting back is salts, coin silver also. This item is heavy at 7-8 lbs..

Here's what I got among other salts

Screenshot_20220721-114728_Chrome.jpg

 I like Sonoma suggestion also, see a bunch of Lions but not any Bulls or Steers.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

That's great...thank you !

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Those green felt pads on the hooves are bothering me. Are such things normal on fine tableware? I'm just thinking they would be difficult to clean.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I'm in total agreement with you !  Yes....your au jus suggestion made perfect sense- Thanyou.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I agree with you.  Perhaps added at a later date?  The square footings are hollow.  Maybe it was once occupied by another material that could stand up to foods/liquids.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Late arrivals:

bullhead tureen.jpgbullhead 1 tureen.jpg

Message 15 of 15
latest reply