Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anticipated Value (appraisals) of Collectibles

Valuations and/or

Appraisals of 

Collectible (Art) Objects

from

Adventure 16 (now permanently closed)

I Purchased several (collectible) pieces, mostly advertising signage from a classic outdoor recreation shop (Adventure 16) now out-of-business. Some pieces are art, some informative/cautionary & some advertising, but all are vintage collectible nonetheless. 

Because there are few resources to objectively appraise valuable vintage collectibles (on ebay) without putting them up for sale (to determine the value placed on them), I am requesting a venue to openly discuss amongst sellers & buyers, expected, anticipated & values of collectibles (from anywhere).

Because buyers undervalue items & sellers overvalue the same items, it is reasonable to average any & all valuations.   

The first item & perhaps the most interesting piece, is a cast brass eagle wall sculpture; measuring around 2' 5" (wingspan) x 9" (crown of head to tip of tail feathers, please see photographs).

Unsure of age, but could have been made about 60 to 70 years ago, but hung above the Adventure 16 general manager's office door for well over five decades.  

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Anticipated Value (appraisals) of Collectibles

Comment:

As far as eBay is concerned, there are only two valid reasons for ending a listing early (even when there are no bidders):

(i) The item is lost, broken, or otherwise no longer available for sale;

(ii) You made a mistake when creating the listing.

Reply: 

Regarding the above ebay conditions of withdrawal, item (i) is open ended because if a seller wants to end an auction early, they can claim that an item is no longer for sale.

As pertaining to item (ii), if a seller made a mistake before any bids was recorded, they could simply correct the error (in the active listing) without harming any bidders; so canceling the auction makes little sense.  

Message 61 of 63
latest reply

@coast-commerce wrote:

.... All snipers want is to bid once at the lowest possible price, with no time for competitors to out-bid them, so how does this benefit sellers? 

That is incorrect. Snipers don't bid the lowest possible price, but the highest they can afford.

Nonsense, what you are describing is "proxy bidding," also known as a bid-bot or robo-bidder. 

A true sniper always bids the maximum amount they are willing to pay for the item, plus (usually) a few cents or a few dollars and cents as a tie-breaker. Because of this, the only way a seller will ever get the true, maximum value for an item, is if there are at least two snipers on an auction.

Lets correct this for the record, proxy bidders are good (for buyers & sellers) because anybody who wants something, will enter a maximum they can afford or care to pay, so a seller knows what the maximum price an individual values an item (or can afford to pay for a particular item).

As for buyers, they may enter the maximum price they can afford, even though they would rather get the item for much less, but do so to increase the odds of being the highest bidder at the end of the auction.

If the final price is set by a nibble bidder, or a reactive bidder, then you will never know if you got the full, maximum value in an online auction.

The on-line auction lingo word "sniper" refers to somebody who usually via bidding program, instructs the program to wait until the last second (hoping that there are no other bids or as few as possible) & place a single bid; thereby keeping the bid as low as possible (at or near the seller's asking price), therefore creating an anti-competitive atmosphere.

If ebay were smart, they would use algorithms & artificial intelligence to determine when a sniping program is detected & increase the offer increment substantially within the final day, then hour, minute & second of an auction...that would pick off the snipers!  

Message 62 of 63
latest reply

@coast-commerce , you are incorrect.I have been sniping since before there was a snipping program, so I don't need you to regurgitate common misunderstandings.

Message 63 of 63
latest reply