cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice: Selling a Large Coin Collection (US Presidential $1 Coins)

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice. I have sold coins on eBay from time to time, even fairly expensive gold, platinum, and palladium coins. 

I'm thinking about listing a complete collection of US Presidential Dollar Coins, in US Mint original rolls. "P" and "D" for every President available.

Are there any best practices for selling a collection like this? 40 Presidents x 2 $25 rolls each = 80 rolls and a $2,000 minimum notional value. Any tips on how to best price the collection is also appreciated, although in general, I tend to let the auction do its magic.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I assume you've looked at Completed Listing and Sold Listing to get an idea of current selling prices on eBay, keywords that work, etc.  I assume you've checked Terapeak, too, in the Seller Hub.  If not, those are places to start.

You might also want to ask on the Coins & Currency forum:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/ct-p/1114

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Maybe a coin seller / collector will come by with something useful for you.

-

-

-

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I assume you've looked at Completed Listing and Sold Listing to get an idea of current selling prices on eBay, keywords that work, etc.  I assume you've checked Terapeak, too, in the Seller Hub.  If not, those are places to start.

You might also want to ask on the Coins & Currency forum:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/ct-p/1114

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Maybe a coin seller / collector will come by with something useful for you.

-

-

-

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

How much do these weigh, 35 pounds or so? 

Do you have an idea how you will package them for shipping?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

My guess is that's about right, might even be closer to 45 lbs, but not worried about shipping. I've shipped much heavier eBay sales before, and for more expensive items.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I knew there had to be boards dedicated to Coins! There used to be, back when I was working at eBay. Thank you!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

But yet, you should be worried.

About 10 years ago, I had the experience of being in line at the PO behind two geniuses who were selling their grandpa's silver dollar collection. They had two flat Priority Mail boxes packed to the gills so much so that the boxes were bent in the center.

I said "They won't let you ship them like that." After further discussion they said, "What are you, a PO employee?"

"No, just a smart person,"

"They HAVE to take them." "Unh huh, said I"

They got to the window and the clerk refused them and sent them away to repackage their coins. So it turns out they did have something to worry about. Once repackaged they were able to just hop back in line I'm told.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply