cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11 inch vase with hand painted rooster

Does any one recognize this old vase with a rooster. It has some written words on it.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: 11 inch vase with hand painted rooster

It looks like a newish decorator piece, to me.  That "postal" motif is the give-away, to my eye.   If I'm right, then identifying it will be nearly impossible and won't add significantly to the value.  It's cute and someone will want it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It looks like a newish decorator piece, to me.  That "postal" motif is the give-away, to my eye.   If I'm right, then identifying it will be nearly impossible and won't add significantly to the value.  It's cute and someone will want it.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Newish or not, I'm intrigued by the writing. Could you take another photo or two showing the text at the bottom at a better angle? Is there any writing on the base?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts it's just the typical random grab you see all over home accessories right now.  Like these:

postal1.jpg

e9825fc61a50f4d11f9a1cfb4cdea161--linen-pillows-toss-pillows.jpg

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts it's just the typical random grab you see all over home accessories right now.  Like this cushion:

postal1.jpg

OK, in view of that evidence I think your money is quite safe grinning

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Maybe it's not a fad there, but here it's very popular -- cushions, placemats, tablecloths, storage boxes and bins, handbags, lampshades, tote bags, you-name-it.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Maybe it's not a fad there, but here it's very popular -- cushions, placemats, tablecloths, storage boxes and bins, handbags, lampshades, tote bags, you-name-it.

I'm sure it's a fad here too, it's just not the sort of thing I would ever go shopping for. I guess there are none so blind as those who will not shop.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I can't take more pictures right now, my tri pod is shot. There is nothing on the bottom. Thanks for your input.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I don't belive it is a postal motif. The writing  on it is not in english. Thanks for your input.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

It has appeal. I agree that it probably isn't old and tracing it to a maker probably would not get anywhere. But roosters and chickens are popular and your item would be attractive to a lot of people.

Collectibles do not need to be old or a whozit didit rare item for someone to want it.

Radine

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@crt1929 wrote:

I don't belive it is a postal motif. The writing  on it is not in english. Thanks for your input.

The postal ( sometimes called postcard ) motif is done in many languages, all for the American market.  French is particularly popular for the "Paris apartment" look, for example.   If you'll look into it, you'll find many examples, many languages, on many decorator and personal accessory items.   In fact, this is a good time to resell your vase, while the style is still popular.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

In French, available for a modest price through a well-known on-line retailer.  I keep using cushions and cusion covers because they show up the writing and postmarks the best:

e75cd08b05e3c577720654365c568349--color-black-joss--main.jpg

And Radine is absolutely right:  Collectibles do not need to be old or a whozit didit rare item for someone to want it.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts it's just the typical random grab you see all over home accessories right now.  Like these:

notible for this vase is that the rooster is hand painted, at least.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your info. I listed it  to see what would happen. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the info. I had no clue.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply