cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT-Favorite Band/Music ~ Reading C&PM

Hello Friends,

I thought I would mix it up a bit and ask what people listen to (if anything) while reading & posting here. Music is a huge part of my life (for better or worse) but it is always a constant. Does anyone here have a favorite group/band that they listen to and would like to share that with everybody?

I will take that next step. My favorite band is Steely Dan and I listen to "AJA" quite often full blast with my JBL L-112's flexing their might and reading the posts here. It is a cool experience for me and I am in hopes that those who listen to music while perusing this board will share what they listen to. 🙂 No right,no wrong, no scam; it is what it is. Do tell...

richard
Message 1 of 4,186
latest reply
4,185 REPLIES 4,185

Well, to each his own I suppose. I still enjoyed it, even though that style of music is not my forte.

Yanni = Heavy Metal? :^O Touche, point well taken!
Message 46 of 4,186
latest reply

Hey, if you enjoy it, that's fine. If it gets you exposed to Classical and encourages you to explore further, even better. Check out some of the more conventional performances that are broadcast, and keep track of what you like and what you don't.

The range of styles within Classical is enormous. There's something for everybody. I started listening when Rock died (1975) and never looked back. I have literally thousands of pieces of Classical in my CD collection -- from quiet and intimate to borderline thermonuclear.
Message 47 of 4,186
latest reply

Very good topic.But just too many jewels to name only a few.Roy Orbison is my all time favourite,I done'nt think people relized how wonderfull a voice he really had.I'm fortunate that I did see him live at a concert.I love driving my little red Mustang and listening to his heavovly voice it really takes life's dust off our minds.

Also the Beatles gentle love songs,Sure the Stones but they were off the edge.Buddy Holly was great "In a fool's paradise" was wonderful just too many.

Johnny Crawford' Cindy's birthday was real poetry.Cat Stevens had many profound songs like "Wild World" hard to get bye with just a smile.Gene Pitney showed us "True love never runs Smooth."

The Everly brothers showed many feelings in life such as 'Crying in the rain" .Yes nowadays it's really a Cat Stevens 'wild world'. I don't care much for the modern music we hear now. The list is endless and many more too add. see you oj
Message 48 of 4,186
latest reply

OJ, I love Cat Stevens! He wrote so many songs that just tugs at the souls. The subject matter is so real and at once, very personal. Take for instance, "Father and Son" every time I hear that song I get something new from it. A very brilliant musician. Roy Orbison, wow, what a singer! Never be another one like him and that is for sure. I got back into Roy while listening to the Traveling Wilburys. You know the supergroup with Dylan, Orbison, Harrison, Petty, Lynne.
Message 49 of 4,186
latest reply

I love Cat Stevens! He wrote so many songs that just tugs at the souls. The subject matter is so real and at once, very personal.

That's the era of popular music I knew the best, and I still listen to some of those records on occasion. For lyrics, in addition to Cat Stevens, I liked the non-humerous songs of Jim Croce. (The humerous ones had their moments, but were hardly "profound.") You also have to mention Simon and Garfunkel. I would add Harry Chapin.
Message 50 of 4,186
latest reply

I guess many of us or on the same track,yes Cat Stevens had many songs with true feelings and part of my life. oj
Message 51 of 4,186
latest reply

Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair" is one of my favorite songs. It is a time capsule that was relevant to that time in the 60's and yet seems at home in with me in the waning days of 2007. Testament to clever writing/arrangements. There are many others that I would add also.

The Band was another group that I just loved. Totally original, excellent musicians, great music.
Message 52 of 4,186
latest reply

beaverarby
Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I guess this will give my age away, but I am still stuck in the mid to late 60's with rock.

My favorite group still gives me chills when I listen to their first full length album. For all of you over 50's guys and gals, Bayou Country is my all-time favorite (CCR).

I also enjoy a lot of other great bands from the day: Iron Butterfly (In da god da da vida), The Doors, Animals, Stones, 3 Dog Night, The Yardbirds, Kinks, etc.

But I always come back to Creedence to get me going.

beaverarby
Message 53 of 4,186
latest reply

glocmt12
Trailblazer
For burroak tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-qrA4TxfI

(No actual trees were harmed in the filming of this)
Message 54 of 4,186
latest reply

glocmt12
Trailblazer
Richard Strauss 2001 A Space Odyssey opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w
Message 55 of 4,186
latest reply

Richard Strauss 2001 A Space Odyssey opening:

A.K.A. Also Sprach Zarathustra.

First Chicago Symphony concert I ever went to, Leinsdorf conducted that. The climax about 15 minutes into the piece just pushed you back in the seat and rolled on over. It was incredible.
Message 56 of 4,186
latest reply

... Animals ...

Their version of House of the Rising Sun is one of the top ten classic rock cuts in my book. (I saw Eric Burdon do it in/for a semi-recent PBS pledge drive show. He looked like a retired insurance salesman!)
Message 57 of 4,186
latest reply

Uhhhh, I love this thread.

But am I the only one who loves
the Bee Gees?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7kzGFT5LDL4
Message 58 of 4,186
latest reply

I can go for some country. Working for this guy right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y4NTXT96EM
Message 59 of 4,186
latest reply

But am I the only one who loves the Bee Gees?

Unfortuantely, no.;-)

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 60 of 4,186
latest reply