cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller sent wrong item, wont send prepaid shipping label for return

hello, 

my dog has aggressive cancer that is inoperable. the vet recommended turkey tail mushrooms.  i contacted swanson vitamins to find out what is the difference between their "superior herbs" line and their regular line. they explained the process that makes the "superior herbs" a higher quality and higher priced.

i ordered two bottles of swanson "superior herbs" turkey tail mushrooms from a seller in NY, but received two bottles of regular swanson vitamins.

i contacted him to explain what the swanson rep had told me, and said i wanted to return the ones he sent.  he said that the swanson rep was wrong, and that swanson only makes the regular ones. he did not offer any accommodation.  he did not ask me beforehand if it was OK to substitute,  nor did he offer me a price reduction. then he changed the picture on his listing to show the regular line bottle instead of the "superior herbs."

i started a return with ebay and was given his return address. however, his listing says "free returns."  if anything qualifies for free return shipping, its getting an item you didnt order.  two days ago i messaged him asking for a prepaid return shipping label.  he has not responded.

i replied to ebays email and explained why i need a prepaid label, but they too have not responded. 

ebay isnt accepting calls. 

what should i do to get these vitamins sent back for free, so i can get a full refund?   thank you.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@exceptionnelle,

"i started a return with ebay and was given his return address. however, his listing says "free returns." if anything qualifies for free return shipping, its getting an item you didnt order."

Did you file the return request stating Item Not Received (INR)?  If you did ebay may have decided the dispute was actually a buyer's remorse dispute, which is why they want you to pay the return shipping.  You need to open the dispute to read any reply the seller made to it to see what they claimed and any eBay remarks.  If they closed the dispute in the seller's favor you may be stuck.

" he changed the picture on his listing to show the regular line bottle instead of the "superior herbs." 

If you use the app to buy with.  Try logging in the classic way with your username and password on your device's browser.  In your purchase history open the listing. It should show the original photos. If it does not, in the upper left of the listing there should be a See Revisions button. Click on it and it should tell you on such and such a date the seller edited changed the photos.    Then check the resolution center for any messages. If you see that ebay has closed the return request, you will have to use another route to at least get a refund, since apparently the seller was using misleading photos.

• You have to report the seller to get started Click on the Resolution Center button
  • In the Help box  click on Resolving buying problems.
  • The page that opens is titled Resolving issues with sellers
  • Scroll down to,  Reporting an item or issue with a seller click
  • Select the buyer has violated one of eBay's policies. 
  • You will have to use the full list button to find the policy which will be under selling practices, specifically  "Making sure the item is delivered to the buyer as described in your listing".
  • Then scroll down the  page to the  Report a seller button click.
  • Select "The seller has violated one of eBay’s policies".
  • on the next page Fill in the seller's username,
  • Select Other . then fill in the details in the text box.
  • I would say:
  • Original listing was for "Swanson Superior Herbs" I received regular ones. The seller revised the photos on the listing page after I requested a return see revisions. Seller also stated there was only one level of Swanson Herbs, but the photo showed and title said "Superior"  If it is possible to allow a photo to be sent, I can send a photo of the vitamins I received.

Good Luck

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@exceptionnelle,

"i started a return with ebay and was given his return address. however, his listing says "free returns." if anything qualifies for free return shipping, its getting an item you didnt order."

Did you file the return request stating Item Not Received (INR)?  If you did ebay may have decided the dispute was actually a buyer's remorse dispute, which is why they want you to pay the return shipping.  You need to open the dispute to read any reply the seller made to it to see what they claimed and any eBay remarks.  If they closed the dispute in the seller's favor you may be stuck.

" he changed the picture on his listing to show the regular line bottle instead of the "superior herbs." 

If you use the app to buy with.  Try logging in the classic way with your username and password on your device's browser.  In your purchase history open the listing. It should show the original photos. If it does not, in the upper left of the listing there should be a See Revisions button. Click on it and it should tell you on such and such a date the seller edited changed the photos.    Then check the resolution center for any messages. If you see that ebay has closed the return request, you will have to use another route to at least get a refund, since apparently the seller was using misleading photos.

• You have to report the seller to get started Click on the Resolution Center button
  • In the Help box  click on Resolving buying problems.
  • The page that opens is titled Resolving issues with sellers
  • Scroll down to,  Reporting an item or issue with a seller click
  • Select the buyer has violated one of eBay's policies. 
  • You will have to use the full list button to find the policy which will be under selling practices, specifically  "Making sure the item is delivered to the buyer as described in your listing".
  • Then scroll down the  page to the  Report a seller button click.
  • Select "The seller has violated one of eBay’s policies".
  • on the next page Fill in the seller's username,
  • Select Other . then fill in the details in the text box.
  • I would say:
  • Original listing was for "Swanson Superior Herbs" I received regular ones. The seller revised the photos on the listing page after I requested a return see revisions. Seller also stated there was only one level of Swanson Herbs, but the photo showed and title said "Superior"  If it is possible to allow a photo to be sent, I can send a photo of the vitamins I received.

Good Luck

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@exceptionnelle wrote:

It's likely what you picked for the return. Which reason did you select?http://images.weserv.nl/?url=community.ebay.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/627710i655D9EAD9B393BF5

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Since it's free returns the reason shouldn't matter.  The buyer should get a return label paid for by the seller no matter the choice 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

thank you for your reply. it was either "doesnt match description" or "wrong item sent"
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

thank you for your very thorough response. i picked either "does not match description" or "wrong item sent" as the reason for the return, thats why i was surprised not to get a prepaid return shipping label. once i started the return the item disappeared from my purchase history. i sent pictures with the return request. i will give ebay the rest of today to reply to my email, but then follow your advice about the dispute center. it shouldnt be this difficult to get someone to abide by their listing. it would be a lot easier if i could just talk to ebay. thank you again for helping me put here. guess im dealing with an ingenious fool .
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's illness. It's a difficult time for you and your a caring pet parent to be trying to do your best for you pet by looking to purchase what your vet suggested. I hope you can find it available elsewhere! Give your dog a hug for me!

The item you purchased goes to a RETURNS section at bottom of purchases page once a return is started.

Your seller must not have opted into automatically supplying a prepaid label when a return is filed. If a label has been provided it would show this in the return status section. They have X number of days to supply you with a label for return or otherwise refund without return. Once that time frame passes, you can elevate the claim, the seller will automatically lose and you'll receive a refund.

The seller may have changed the image on their current page, but it should remain the same as it was on the page for the listing you purchased. Either way it doesn't really matter, you should be able to return.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@exceptionnelle
The 'A' site has turkey tail mushrooms specific for canines available as a powder supplement by Canine Matrix and other mfgs. You can sprinkle it on your dogs food. It's available next day if you have Prime.

Canine Matrix Organic Mushroom Powder Supplement     It has great reviews!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

ok, i went to the resolution center and clicked on "I received an item that does not match the seller's description."  after selecting the item , a page came up that said "a return request is already open for this item."  so i could not proceed.

i don't want to cancel that return request because that might be interpreted to mean that i want to keep the item---which i dont.

ive emailed the seller---no response beyond his first curt reply.

ive emailed ebay twice---no response.

ebay isnt accepting calls. you'd think they could work from home like so many other businesses have implemented.

the return label ebay sent just has the sellers address. there is no postage on it, or bar codes. 

maybe tomorrow will bring a solution.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@exceptionnelle wrote:

the return label ebay sent just has the sellers address. there is no postage on it, or bar codes. 

How quickly, was it a few hours/a day before you got that label?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

ebay sent it the same day.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@exceptionnelle wrote:
ebay sent it the same day.

If you didn't get the return label within a minute, then it sounds like your seller uploaded a no-postage label for eBay to give you to print. Send a private message to eBay on Facebook or Twitter, include your eBay ID, etc. and ask eBay to look at the return label.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

eBay is working with a reduce staff do to COVID concerns. That is why you can not reach them by phone. It took the 2 full days to reply to my email. So give it time. eBay will respond.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

It appears that your seller simply sent you a label to facilitate a return but would like for you to volunteer to pay for return postage & tracking.

Under ebay's MBG, with a not as described issue your seller is responsible for the return costs.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply