cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"COMMON SENSE" Improvements to EBay ....

Just saw that they changed "Request Total" button in cart to read as "Request Combined Shipping"

What a simple, common sense change to make ...and quite frankly a great improvement!

Can they keep doing these SIMPLE & COMMON SENSE improvements, please 😁

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Just saw that they changed "Request Total" button in cart to read as "Request Combined Shipping"

What a simple, common sense change to make ...and quite frankly a great improvement!

How will it work with auto pay & mobile phones

?

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

Can they keep doing these SIMPLE & COMMON SENSE improvements, please 

This is wrong kyle@ebay as has often been discussed, requesting combined shipping does not mean asking for reduced shipping to ship everything together.

"Request Total" was correct, or make it a mouthful with "Request a Discount on Combined Shipping" instead.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

But what if the seller doesn't offer combined shipping? Not all sellers do. Isn't this change going to give buyers a false sense that their shipping cost will automatically be less? What seems common sense to you seems potentially confusing to me.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Not quite sure what you're talking about.
I put 3 items in my cart from one seller. The combined shipping is more than the items. 
When I go to my cart it won't even let me "request a total".
I get this: "You can't request a total for items that require immediate payment."
My first thought was "how many sellers don't know this? How many are losing sales because buyers can't request a total? What seems like a good idea to require immediate payment is backfiring on them."
So they didn't improve jack......

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy,

"Just saw that they changed "Request Total" button in cart to read as "Request Combined Shipping.

What a simple, common sense change to make ...and quite frankly a great improvement!"

So ebay changed the wording, Big Deal !

It does not change the fact that if the seller does not offer combined shipping or have a preset combined shipping rule on the listing, Ex: (Buy 1 item pay $5 shipping, each additional add $ .50 to the order) that there will be a discount.  So the outcome will still be the same as when the wording was Request Total. 

As long as a seller has not unchecked the Immediate payment option, from their Buyer Requirements, they will not be able to send a combined shipping invoice.

If the combined item package size for the items gets into the shipper's Dimensional Weight measurement, the combined shipping cost could even be more than if you paid the individual shipping prices for each item.

"Can they keep doing these SIMPLE & COMMON SENSE improvements"

Be careful of what you wish for.  Someone in ebay management will task a team to crack a nut, then give them a sledge hammer to do it with. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Now if only ebay could understand that just because there's a discount on an ITEM, doesn't mean the seller isn't willing to also discount the SHIPPING.

Be nice if they added this function to the app as well.

At one time when ebay was enforcing their own IPR on sellers, they stated that using the cart would override the immediate payment required, but nope, that never happened.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Wow.... for such a simple change and such a simple post ... it required such a fiery set of responses... I thought it may be simply more INTUITIVE. For those who also say it may givea false sense of certainty, I remind you it does say "Request".

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

How will it work with auto pay & mobile phones

?

I assume it doesn't, won't and has no effect. Simply a wording change.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@qeqo_0 wrote:

This is wrong kyle@ebay as has often been discussed, requesting combined shipping does not mean asking for reduced shipping to ship everything together.

"Request Total" was correct, or make it a mouthful with "Request a Discount on Combined Shipping" instead.

...Okay ... however technical you want to get, "Request Total" may be more "technically correct" it's not as intuitive for buyers who aren't as familiar with the system...

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

But what if the seller doesn't offer combined shipping? Not all sellers do. Isn't this change going to give buyers a false sense that their shipping cost will automatically be less? What seems common sense to you seems potentially confusing to me.

... What if the seller doesn't offer combined shipping and it says "Request Total". So because it says "Request Combined Shipping" it makes it more confusing? Doesn't the 2nd page that pops up saying "seller doesnt offer combined shipping" or whatever it says make that more clear then? It also does say "Request". Doesnt mean a guarantee. Its just something that I saw and said "WOW, that is so much more INTUITIVE for me. I see "Request Total" and its like what the heck is that? But "Request Combined Shipping" is like "uhh, oh ya, duh, i want to REQUEST that. The functionality of the button and the outcomes havent changed...the words you see have. You call that confusing, I call the opposite confusing. Po-tay-to, Po-Tah-to

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@joliztoyco wrote:

Not quite sure what you're talking about.
I put 3 items in my cart from one seller. The combined shipping is more than the items. 
When I go to my cart it won't even let me "request a total".
I get this: "You can't request a total for items that require immediate payment."
My first thought was "how many sellers don't know this? How many are losing sales because buyers can't request a total? What seems like a good idea to require immediate payment is backfiring on them."
So they didn't improve jack......

Not quite sure what YOU are talking about.

Ok, you can't request total on IPR items. That hasn't changed... I'm talking about 2 auction wins that were in my cart, from a seller who I KNOW combines shipping, and I went to request it, and the button read differently than before.

Simply talking about the wording change on a button. It just was so simple and something so many overlook every day but just seemed so much more intuitive to me and was appreciated.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy,

"Just saw that they changed "Request Total" button in cart to read as "Request Combined Shipping.

What a simple, common sense change to make ...and quite frankly a great improvement!"

So ebay changed the wording, Big Deal !

It does not change the fact that if the seller does not offer combined shipping or have a preset combined shipping rule on the listing, Ex: (Buy 1 item pay $5 shipping, each additional add $ .50 to the order) that there will be a discount.  So the outcome will still be the same as when the wording was Request Total. 

As long as a seller has not unchecked the Immediate payment option, from their Buyer Requirements, they will not be able to send a combined shipping invoice.

If the combined item package size for the items gets into the shipper's Dimensional Weight measurement, the combined shipping cost could even be more than if you paid the individual shipping prices for each item.

"Can they keep doing these SIMPLE & COMMON SENSE improvements"

Be careful of what you wish for.  Someone in ebay management will task a team to crack a nut, then give them a sledge hammer to do it with. 

Thank you @mudshark61369, you made my point very clear for me. It simply changed the words and did not change ANY of the functionality. We are in 100% agreement. So many other respondents want to argue that the functionality is the same and has not changed, which I never said or implied it had. I simply appreciated the change in wording. It is CLEAR. If someone wants to argue that "Request Total" is the more appropriate verbiage, or a wordy button saying "Request Discount on Combined Shipping of All Items" ... sure... or if they want to argue that using that " request total" button may not always be used for combined shipping or the seller may not always offer combined shipping, fine. The point is, the buyers who click that button, 99% of the time, are seeking combined (discounted) shipping. The change in verbiage makes it clear to the buyer this is the button they need to press in the event they want to request that. There is no confusion. Dare I say it follows the ideology and practices of "Idiot proof"? OR "Keep it Simple Stupid"? So it makes it simple for anyone and everyone? It hasnt changed anything but the appearance and communication to the buyer of whay they are doing or wanting to do. I just appreciated that SMALL thing.

Yes. I completely appreciate EBay has MAJOR flaws and needs to work on MAJOR things. I also appreciate they have very MINOR things they can work on. So often, do they fix things that "Ain't broke". You know, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". O suppose this one wasnt broken, but at least, in my eyes, it was still an improvement or move in the right direction. Sometimes their fixes and changes are simply confusing or meddling in our practices.

Oh, 100% be careful what I wish for. I was being 50% serious amd 50% sarcastic in wanting more. I have some idea of what their goals are in their transformations as they've constantly been changing things here slowly but surely. They always seem to be trying to change the interface and make it "userfriendly". They do it every day and I always find something new I have to re-learn. I just appreciated this because it was so darn simple and wasn't intrusive or obtuse or whatever. It didn't act as a hurdle but was kind of like "oh. Ahh, thats nice". It soothed my brain as I love "idiot proofing" things. Was part of a previous job description of mine...

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Now if only ebay could understand that just because there's a discount on an ITEM, doesn't mean the seller isn't willing to also discount the SHIPPING.

Be nice if they added this function to the app as well.

At one time when ebay was enforcing their own IPR on sellers, they stated that using the cart would override the immediate payment required, but nope, that never happened.

I have always supported this idea. Hey, I look at this as baby steps. At least this change in the interface was positive but not intrusive or an obstacle. Thats why I appreciated it.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@qeqo_0 wrote:

...Okay ... however technical you want to get, "Request Total" may be more "technically correct" it's not as intuitive for buyers who aren't as familiar with the system...

Also, if there isn't any combining of shipping to occur....  There is absolutely no reason to "request total" the total is already displayed, waiting to be paid.

The only reason for the button is to request a combined shipping invoice.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply