cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import duties buying from Greece shipping to US.

I wish to purchase about $4000:worth of parts from a seller in Greece on the US ebay site.  I have read a few things on the internet but have not really understood completely wether there are import charges on all or some of the purchase. I think a certain portion is exempt up to a certain dollar amount and  Some things i read even make me think the charge is a fraction of a percent on the whole thing  so I am a little  confused and looking for a bit of help.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There should be a US site that gives you the percentage of duty charged on specific items and whether or not an item is duty free.  Normally packages sent by mail of up to $800 are duty free although there are exceptions for items such as alcohol and cigarettes. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I read from a few different sites but I can't seem to find a direct answer as to my situation no matter how many times I google it.  I was hoping some one had some direct experience 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@compscrap wrote:

I read from a few different sites but I can't seem to find a direct answer as to my situation no matter how many times I google it.  I was hoping some one had some direct experience 

Have you tried the US customs web site?

https://www.cbp.gov/

Have a great day
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Try Googling 'customs duty calculator'. That brings up a number of sites where you can enter the details of the transaction and it will give you an estimate of the fees.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@compscrap,

What fees you are charged may depend on what the items are and if you are buying as a business for re-sale, or for personal use.  Besides custom's fees, if your state charges sales tax, you will be charged that percentage as well.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 6
latest reply