cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Needs to start Clearing Out Bad Sellers!

Oh jeez!  The "fun" of buying on eBay.  The last 3 of 3 transactions on eBay have gone belly up!

Did my DD, which took a long time: rejected sellers with terrible FB scores, Unflattering FB writing, high shipping, expiration dates that have passed, etc.  Settled on a sellers relatively close by with 99.5% feedback.   

So the first transaction gets marked "shipped" with in a day of purchase.  Then nothing.   No tracking number uploaded to the order.  So I wait until the mid-point of the EDD range and sent the seller a note asking if there is a tracking number.  Supposed to be shipped via FedEx.  Crickets - no reply from seller, no tracking number.  EDD comes and goes - nadda.  So I send seller a note - no reply.  36-hours later, start the INR case.  Eventually refunded.

Second transaction the seller accepted a BO, I paid promptly and away we go!  Now to the seller's credit, they shipped fast and item arrived before the EDD!

But I open the package and here is the item, in it's original retail box!  But low and behold the expiration date is EXPIRED!  So I went back and checked the listing - as  I thought.  There in the pictures is the expiration date that is 18 months hence.  So what I purchased was not expired, yet what I got was expired.

But hey, now the fun begins... Seller has a 'no returns' policy.  So OK, Let's see if they fight a SNAD case.  SNAD filed with picture attached of the expiration date I received.   Surprisingly the seller issued a return label?  WTH?  Item is worth ~$10 not expired, so why would they want it returned unless they intend to scam someone else selling expired stuff as fresh product?

But why would a seller do this?  Are they inept and sent the wrong item?  Ignorant of eBay policies like the MBG and ignorant of eBay policies about selling expired stuff?  or just a scammer who thinks they can get away with something like this because they have a 'no returns' policy?  Sigh.

Third transaction,  bought the item and seller takes 3-days to upload a tracking number.  I suspect they were waiting on eBay to provide the funds in their MP account?  Anyway, item was to be delivered in a Sat-Mon range.  So I watch and check tracking:  no acceptance and no movement.  I mean this is like 2-hours away!

Anyway, when there is nothing happening on the Sat I messaged the seller inquiring about tracking.  Now I would understand no acceptance scan if they told me they tossed it in a collection box. But sellers says, "Oh we shipped it, USPS picks up here every day."  Yeah, right.  If they did that and regularly didn't get acceptance scans any reasonable seller would be on the USPS to get that fixed.  But no tracking scans for a week?  Yeah, right you were OOS or playing games.  So yet another 'case" (INR) gets filed.

I guess I am going to look like a terrible buyer because I leave a bunch of red donuts.  I'd prefer eBay just boot jokers instead.

So why does eBay allow jokers like this to keep selling here?  Anyone first starting out gets 3 bad transaction in a row and they probably, justifiably so, never buy here again!  Why can't we clean out these types so honest decent sellers will have an easier time?

{stepping down off of soapbox}

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

recently, I purchased a hand held electronic game for my son.  The seller did a very poor job packing it. In a big box with nothing to cushion it. The game was dirty, So dirty that I had to clean it before I could let my son use it. The sound on the game didn’t work and after two minutes of playing it, it completely stopped working.

the seller had perfect FB with 100s of items sold. 

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

If you have this many problems here and are prone to hand out "red donuts" /combative/ know the ins-outs of ebay, why shop here?  I certainly wouldn't want you as a "buyer" (and I'm not even a seller).   Support your LOCAL businesses where you can see what you are buying.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@no_zero369 said:

"So why does eBay allow jokers like this to keep selling here?  Anyone first starting out gets 3 bad transaction in a row and they probably, justifiably so, never buy here again!  Why can't we clean out these types so honest decent sellers will have an easier time?"

Honestly its because eBay would much rather that you the buyer have to endure bad sellers that provide bad customer service while they charge those bad sellers an extra 5% for the right to keep selling. As opposed to giving those bad sellers temporary suspensions and or finally indefinite suspensions due to their bad customer service. This is how it worked in the past.

But now that eBay has decided to monetize bad customer service unfortunately it's now the customers who suffer, because of it.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Maybe the mail carrier did like mine does, tosses the package in the back and waits a week to actually get them processed

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@whatcomesfirst wrote:

If you have this many problems here and are prone to hand out "red donuts" /combative/ know the ins-outs of ebay, why shop here?  I certainly wouldn't want you as a "buyer" (and I'm not even a seller).   Support your LOCAL businesses where you can see what you are buying.

Well that is great as any seller with an attitude like that is one I wouldn't want to deal with.

Actually I am a great buyer.  I study listings in detail and know what I want and often ask questions to make sure what I want is what is on offer.  I avoid NAD cases by being diligent when buying.  As long as the seller ships what is pictured and described, I have no problems.   I will not, however, put up with bait & switch or other scams.

I note delivery times and often default to buying closer to home when time is of essence.  So I am not hollering about deliveries when an item is in transit.   I pay fast, communicate professionally and courteously with sellers and am understanding of human foibles.  All I ask is that SELLERS DO THEIR JOB. 

But hey, if one wants to make snap decisions on style over substance, my money is as green to the next seller. 

But doing all of the DD needed for a successful transaction here of eBby is taking an INCREASING amount of time.  It would be alot easier if eBay booted bad buyers and sent other to learn the "how tos".

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@vintagefinds_4_you wrote:

recently, I purchased a hand held electronic game for my son.  The seller did a very poor job packing it. In a big box with nothing to cushion it. The game was dirty, So dirty that I had to clean it before I could let my son use it. The sound on the game didn’t work and after two minutes of playing it, it completely stopped working.

the seller had perfect FB with 100s of items sold. 

That is probably because ebay has been removing negs to cover for bad sellers. Ebay collects 10% FV fees from sales and shipping. Sellers with higher ratings = more sales = higher profits. You can keep dreaming if you think ebay will clear out their bread and butter.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Ebay's 'bread & butter" are BIG retailers that use the platform as part of their eCommerce strategy.  Some us it as their sole source,other like to have wide exposure on multiple platforms.  This sellers already actor in the cost of returns, refunds and return shipping so the are no hassle types when something goes wrong.  Often they have Customer Service professionals on staff that will apologize when something gores wrong and offer to fix it.

But hey 20% of eBay sales are probably from 80% of the small sellers, a whole bunch of which just do not get it!  either help them see the light or kick them out.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

WOW!  Voice rec and auto-fill are a mess for me tonight! 

us --> use

other---> others

This ---> These

actor---> factor

the---> there

gores---> goes

That all could be corrected with good old-fashioned PROOF READING!

MY BAD!

ten lashes with a wet noodle for me! 

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Back when my units bought upwards of 30K per year across the country we tried to buy from the closest seller just to avoid extra delivery times.  Now with the pandemic a year in our remaining units only shop on Amazon 90% of the time and B&M as much as practical providing the store operators follow the health guidelines.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I figure most of the poor sellers are younger and have little real life experience.  They eventually weed themselves out after a few months because it's so hard to pay attention and provide a quality experience for the buyer.  

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

i agree  but  there's more  bad  buyers 

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

i want  my  buyer  to like  my  item ..i work for  my  buyer im a seller . i talk to my buyer make sure  were  on same page ..but there's buyers  like i had  few days ago  that just say open case not delivered open a case before item even has to be there  .and leaves bad feedback  while  case open  that  kills us  the seller  and guess what case  closed delivered  then few days  later  says  item not described opens a new  case  e bay takes there  side ...

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@no_zero369 

>eBay Needs to start Clearing Out Bad Sellers!

While that may be true, more importantly,

eBay Needs to start Clearing Out Dishonest and Scamming Buyers!

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@no_zero369,

I think that what  @jayjaspersgarage wrote is probably closer to the truth than the other posts.  It would seem the sellers you've dealt with are probably inexperienced, haven't read most of ebay's policies, and are too swayed by the simplified eBay info such as:

1. "Whether you want to make some extra cash, clear out unwanted items from around the house, or even start a business, it’s easy to start selling on eBay".  
  2.  "To get a listing up in minutes and upload photos straight from your device, use our mobile app"

Many of the newer sellers read a small portion of what they really need to, before starting to sell on ebay.  Just the simplified getting started page alone has 13 links, and two more articles, each of which has more links.  The younger sellers aren't used to having to do that much research to do anything, so they don't dig much deeper than what they see on the first page.  It isn't just sellers who don't read what they need to either. Every day we answer questions from buyers who had problems that could easily have been solved if they had only read the terms of the MBG, or if they had read everything on a listing page.

Unfortunately, nowhere on ebay is the Golden Rule for being a successful seller on ebay written, though most long time sellers know it; 

"Describe all items like there are no photos, and photograph them as if there is no description"

Many of the newer sellers also do not have much experience buying on ebay before starting to sell either.  If they did they would probably take some cues from listings they've seen that attracted them. I feel many of them have taken cues from social media selling sites that have simple descriptions, and just a few photos.  More and more I am seeing 1 or 2 sentence descriptions and on average 3 photos.  It works on those sites because the listings are for local pickup transactions where the buyer can judge for themselves before paying, but it doesn't work well on ebay. 

You may be having issues because of what you buy, even though you do your DD.  Things I do not buy on this site are, items that have expiration dates, clothing, used personal electronics, and other things from high scam categories. Yes buyers can be protected by the MBG, but in over 5K transactions, I've only had to leave 48 nonpositive feedback and used the MBG less than a dozen times since its inception. Something you could have easily checked if toolhaus.org was still around. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 15 of 29
latest reply