cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Your item was returned to the sender because of an incorrect address”

Yeah so I got a $21 + shipping + tax iPod Touch lot on eBay, it’s almost at my house, AND THEN USPS CANCELS IT BECAUSE OF “INCORRECT ADDRESS” AND SENDS IT BACK TO THE SELLER. WHY?! I WAITIED SO LONG FOR IT TO COME AND NOW THIS IS WHAT I GET??? WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME?!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@iphonefan wrote:

Yeah so I got a $21 + shipping + tax iPod Touch lot on eBay, it’s almost at my house, AND THEN USPS CANCELS IT BECAUSE OF “INCORRECT ADDRESS” AND SENDS IT BACK TO THE SELLER. WHY?! I WAITIED SO LONG FOR IT TO COME AND NOW THIS IS WHAT I GET??? WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME?!

The best advice I can give is to visit your local post office with the tracking number and ask them for an explanation. Additionally, I know from experience, that post offices are sometimes a bit slow in getting return mail out the door. So if you are quick you might still be able to catch it.

One of the biggest reasons I get mail back is because the address is an apartment building or a multi-tenant building and the buyer neglected to include an apartment or suite number.

Another reason is that the address did not comply with USPS formats. By that I mean, for example, there is a section of Boston commonly referred to as Hyde Park. BUT the post office website says not to use Hyde Park but to use the name Mattapan. Even though, to a Bostonian, Mattapan is an entirely different section of Boston.

Or there was a typo in the address. 123 street name, when it should have been 132 street name.

etc.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@iphonefan wrote:
I WAITED SO LONG FOR IT TO COME AND NOW THIS IS WHAT I GET??? WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME?!: 

@iphonefan,

When did you buy the item, and what was the last estimated delivery date it was supposed to arrive. You can get that information from the purchase history and from order details page.  It might also help us if you post the ebay Item number. It is on the Order details to the right of the photo. (12 digits, no hyphens)

The seller may have realized after seeing the tracking that they put the wrong label on the wrong package, so they recalled it. This may also have happened for one of the reasons posted by @richard1rst

It is also possible that you have become the victim of a variant of the fake tracking scam.  The seller intentionally put an address to a closed business or vacant property on the label, and hopes that ebay's automated Item Not Received system will find in their favor, because of the limited information it can access.  In order to appeal the decision you need to do some leg work to get the info you need to win an appeal.

As richard1st suggested you need to go to your local post office,  You need to bring a copy of your order details page which shows your address and the tracking number with you. If you bought using a phone or tablet, you can bring that to show the clerk the order details.

You want to ask the clerk to check the label address against yours on the order details page, and also to check the Package type/size/weight info to see if was is appropriate for what you should have received. .   If the info does not match up, you ask the clerk to write a note on Company stationary saying in general that the shipping label's address was not yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight was not right for what you should have received. In this case, you may also want to ask the clerk, why they were returning the item back to the seller, was it requested by them or because of the address. If it was requested by the seller ask them to add that info to the note.  Do not ask them to write specific address or package info, they cannot give it out.  Have the clerk print their name then sign and date the note.

In the message you receive telling you the dispute was closed, there is an Appeal button you can use. When you appeal you can write out what happened, and you can add a CLEAR photo, or a scan of the note to the appeal. That should be enough for you to get ebay to issue a refund. Appeals are looked at by a real person.  You have 30 days from receiving the message to appeal.

I have looked at your feedback profile and see that you have made some purchases from some really bad sellers.  In the future I strongly suggest that you check the feedback profile pages of each seller you intend to buy from, before bidding on or buying their items.  You can access a seller's feedback profile page from near the bottom of listing pages. Use the See All Feedback  button below where their name is in a large font.  On the profile page if the seller has received neutral or negative feedback, click on the numbers of them to read only those comments, also look at the replies to them if there are any by the seller.  Never go by a feedback percentage alone. Some people who have been scammed but did not file a dispute may have left feedback saying they never received their items. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME?!

@iphonefan 

You need to go to the post office to determine if the parcel  was even intended for you in the first place.  If it was not, ask the Post Master to write a note signed/dated that the package was not intended for you in the first place.  This is very important.

Not to say it is true in your case, but this RTS for incorrect address, has been reported with enough frequency of late that it may be a new component in the typical fake tracking scam issue.  

Here is a VERY similar case on the board right now that may give you some additional insight:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Ebay-marked-delivery-as-delivered-but-USPS-said-that-it-was/m-p...

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@ittybitnot,

If you read this go back to the link you posted, some new info has come to light.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I’ve read all the replies and I am working things out with the seller and I’m going to do that, how do I close this?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Also, what “bad sellers?” I look at all the people I buy from, and they have positive feedback. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply