cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a seller cancels a transaction 10 days after purchase with no explanation & won't refund

I posted this in the wrong forum so I'm posting it here with hopes of getting a couple of questions answered.

I bought an item on March 6. Never got the item so I messaged the seller several days ago to find out what was going on. I didn't hear back from them but right after I sent the seller that message, ebay notified me the following morning that the seller canceled the transaction that morning (10 days after my purchase) and my refund is pending. Pending? Ebay CS told me I have to wait a certain amount of days (The didn't know how many days) to get my money back if the seller doesnt refund me on their own. How nice.  Its annoying enough that I wasted all that time to get the item which was going to be a birthday gift for someone only to find out they canceled 10 days after they took my money and now I have to wait X amount of days to get a refund.

Anyone know how many days ebay gives the seller to refund me before ebay takes care of it themselves? I've already been waiting 10 days since purchasing and 4 more days since the seller canceled on me. 

Also, since it's clear the seller won't respond to messages and doesn't intend to refund me, which means ebay will do it whenever they get around to it, once ebay refunds me will I still be able to leave feedback for that seller after I get the refund?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

When a seller cancels a transaction 10 days after purchase with no explanation & won't refund

Can you go into the case (or the 'notification' from eBay) and see if it needs a response from you? Like a confirmation, etc.?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Can you go into the case (or the 'notification' from eBay) and see if it needs a response from you? Like a confirmation, etc.?

When I go to the cancellation notification from ebay my only options are the following:

1)    'I didn't pay for this order.'

2)   'I paid for this order and received a refund. Tell us when you received the refund.'

If I go to my purchase history page, under that listing it says, "The seller canceled this order—just confirm that you received a refund. Reply now." 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Usually when a cancellation is done the refund is automatically started and the money goes back to the buyer's original payment source so it can take some time to show up if you paid with a credit card.  I'm not sure though what they mean when the refund is pending...if it means that the seller didn't have enough funds to pay out the refund or...?    

Does anyone know what pending means when there is a refund started?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Also, since it's clear the seller won't respond to messages and doesn't intend to refund me

@nomore_1940 

It is my understanding that a seller cannot CANCEL a sale that has been paid for without initiating a refund. The funds are sent back to your original funding source.  If you funded your payment with a credit card, that is where you will see the credit.   If your seller was enrolled in eBay managed payments, the money is SLOW going in and even SLOWER coming back out.   

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Usually when a cancellation is done the refund is automatically started and the money goes back to the buyer's original payment source so it can take some time to show up if you paid with a credit card.  I'm not sure though what they mean when the refund is pending...if it means that the seller didn't have enough funds to pay out the refund or...?    

I paid with PayPal and nothing has showed up there yet in terms of a refund.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@nomore_1940 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

When I go to the cancellation notification from ebay my only options are the following:

1)    'I didn't pay for this order.'

2)   'I paid for this order and received a refund. Tell us when you received the refund.'

If I go to my purchase history page, under that listing it says, "The seller canceled this order—just confirm that you received a refund. Reply now." 

Though you paid with why-don't-you-recognize PayPal, eBay said here:

this is the normal experience for any situation where eBay cannot recognize payment. When we do not recognize payment, we are unable to automate the refund as we normally would. A buyer who has paid for the order is still protected in these situations, they would just need to open an item not received request if they do not receive a refund from the seller.

Unless you funded with a credit card to get a quick provisional refund @nomore_1940 even if you try:

open an Item Not Received dispute http://paypal.com/disputes and go back immediately to click Escalate to PayPal. This will cancel the nonsense cancel options at eBay and force a refund from your seller, regardless if they have funds to fund the refund, within 11 days.

You may still:

got a refund but it took nearly a month and the escalation to Paypal to make it happen. Paypal gave the seller several weeks to respond and after he never did, they finally refunded my money.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Other than contacting ebay again, only to have them tell me that I have to wait forever and a day for them to refund me, the only available action that I see I can take is in the resolution center where it says "I haven't received it yet" and "I want a refund."

I already messaged the seller asking for a refund after they canceled on me, and never heard back. I guess I can ask for a refund again through the resolution center, but I don't know what good that will do for me.

I'm also hoping someone can answer my question about whether or not I will still be able to leave feedback for this person after I get a refund, or does the refund put an end to the ability to leave any such feedback.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If you paid with funds that were already in your Paypal account then yes, there should be some indication of the refund there.  If you paid through Paypal with money from your bank account or credit card, the refund will be credited to those accounts.

I can't answer the feedback question for sure as it seems that in some cases it isn't possible to leave it after a cancellation.  You can try to leave it even if the feedback link on your purchase history is gone.   You can go to your feedback page, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on leave feedback.  If feedback is still possible, that transaction will come up.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply