cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do now ? ... An item received different from what I purchased...

I bought X but received Y...    NOW WHAT?

... but first some background...

I am semi-retired with a history that includes computer and network support and some time in the two-way radio industry (think: police and fire dispatch radios) and I still do some work in that field.  I help out a couple of small patient transport companies (non-emergency ambulance - like taking grandpa to his dialysis treatments) and there is a local 2-way shop that I help out at...

Modern 2-way radios are configurable - you need a laptop (usually plugged into the microphone jack) and some manufacturer-specific programs to do the configuring.   I use a Panasonic Toughbook for this - they are a military grade laptop computer originally designed for the Japanese military and hence are very rugged.  If my laptop falls to the ground from the level of the ambulance drivers seat it bounces and ignores it.

I have been using a Toughbook model CF-30 with Windows 7 to program the radios until recently. The software from the biggest radio manufacturers have evolved to where they require Windows 10, and the CF-30 just doesn't do it...
So I need a Win10 Toughbook.   I went looking and found a more modern Toughbook - a CF-31.

Now a bit more background: I've been using Toughbooks for over a decade... I own a CF-27, a CF-29. and a CF-30.  I've been the local Toughbook support guy for a couple of local 2-way shops.  The Toughbook CF series has a field swappable battery (for increased runtime), a DVD drive slot (which can hold the DVD drive, a floppy disk drive, or a second battery) and a field swappable hard drive (for easy field upgrades).

So I find an auction on eBay... an affordable Win10 Toughbook frame... the photos (I have screenshots) show a CF-31 with 8 gigs of RAM, no hard drive, no DVD, an internal Webcam and an HDMI connector...  But the text says CF-30 with no RAM, no DVD, no hard drive, with Webcam (which is impossible on a CF-30), HDMI (also impossible)....   I figure it's a typo... it's a CF-31 and the seller typed CF-30. After all, the CF-30 does not have an internal webcam or an HDMI jack and the CF-31 does.  
The missing stuff is no problem... I can swap the RAM, DVD and hard drive from my CF-30 into the CF-31.

I'm hoping to resolve this but so far the seller is being non-responsive.

So I buy it... and what shows up is a CF-30 similar to the one I am currently using, with 4 gigs of RAM, no hard drive, and with a DVD. * * * WRONG ! * * * 

I went looking  - the seller had both a CF-30 and a CF-31 for sale and it's obvious that he put the wrong shipping label on my box.

Now here's the interesting part.  I send an email to the seller through eBay. I'm in Los Angeles, they are 3 hours ahead of me in New York.   I've not received a response. 
I google the sellers business name and the sellers city. Google displays a sellers computer store in the correct city... and a phone number.

So I call the number. It answers on the second ring. I say "Good Morning, this is (my name) and I purchased a Toughbook through your eBay store."
The gentleman says "We DON'T have an ebay store!" with extra stress on the "don't".

He continued, "You've been hit by a ebay fraudster that cloned our business name, we can't find his place of business or his phone number, and you're the third call this morning about receiving the wrong item". I offer the street address from the package... he says "That's the one he's using, but it doesn't exist, and his business license was issued to a mailbox at a UPS store".

But the ebay page says that the seller has done over 40000 transactions and is 95% positive.

I'd like to resolve this with a CF-31 in my hands (equal to the one that was advertised) and IF the cloned business name is true the seller should be told to use a different name on his ebay store.
I don't want (or can use) the CF-30, I've had mine for over 5 years and I've added a couple of features to mine that the one I was sent doesn't have.

Suggestions / comments are welcome.

Thanks for listening.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Go to your purchase history and click return item and select, the item doesn't match the description as the reason.
The seller will have 3 days to accept the return and pay return shipping or refund without returning.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the fast reply but the item is marked "Returns Not Accepted". 
Honestly, I didn't notice that when I purchased it.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@mrmorris1 wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply but the item is marked "Returns Not Accepted".

It doesn't matter. EBay's Money Back Guarantee trumps a seller's no returns policy.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

"Returns not accepted" is ONLY for remorse returns. This isn't a remorse return, it would be for a "not as described".  The ebay MBG overrides "no returns" when it is not as described.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Also forgot to mention, once you open the return case do NOT close it until you have your refund. If this is a scammer you are dealing with they will tell you something along the lines of 'we will refund you but ebay wont let us while a case is open so as soon as you close the case we will issue the refund'. That is pure **bleep**, dont fall for it and don't converse with them any more, just open the case.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Does the fact that the auction photos showed a CF-31 and the auction text said CF-30 (but with CF-31 features)  affect the situation?   I may have glossed over that a little in the original posting...

Thanks in advance

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@mrmorris1 wrote:

Does the fact that the auction photos showed a CF-31 and the auction text said CF-30 (but with CF-31 features)  affect the situation?   I may have glossed over that a little in the original posting...

Thanks in advance

Everything in the listing has to match, if it doesn't, it's not as described.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@asset_liquidators wrote:

Also forgot to mention, once you open the return case do NOT close it until you have your refund. If this is a scammer you are dealing with they will tell you something along the lines of 'we will refund you but ebay wont let us while a case is open so as soon as you close the case we will issue the refund'. That is pure **bleep**, dont fall for it and don't converse with them any more, just open the case.

There was a seller posted about that the last few months.

The seller was trying to issue a refund, but Ebay wouldn't let them because there was a case open.

When a seller tells a buyer that, they might be telling the truth.

I've heard a lot of buyers posting about it, but it was the first time I heard a seller posting about it.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello, I'm  mrmorris1, the original poster.

I'd like to thank all of the people that replied.  The case has been resolved.

I shipped back the wrong Toughbook laptop and I received a refund. 

I purchased a CF-31 from a different seller.

I'd like to particularly thank "asset_liquidators"  for his warning as the seller tried the "please close it so I can do a refund" trick.  Thanks to his warning I didn't do that and got the refund.

Mike

Message 10 of 10
latest reply