cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can be done in case you purchased refurbished item but payed for new one?

Hi,

I purchased Google Pixel 5a. After my screen was broken I was needed to open the phone in order to change the broken screen. I found that the phone was previously opened and battery was changed. In other words I got REFUBRISHED phone as NEW phone.

Regards,
Yonathan

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You should open a INAD Item Not As Described return.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

How long have you had it?

Have a great day
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@a.yanochkin 

You only have 30 days after receiving an item to open an item not as described case on eBay. Paypal has the same deadline. From the date on your feedback about the issue it appears you're well beyond that deadline. Your only option at this point is to see if you can still dispute the charge on your credit card.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Isn't the whole idea of a return redundant. Leaving aside that it's been far too long, it can hardly be returned in its original condition considering its been smashed.

After all this time even a credit card dispute is unlikely.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote:

Isn't the whole idea of a return redundant. Leaving aside that it's been far too long, it can hardly be returned in its original condition considering its been smashed.

After all this time even a credit card dispute is unlikely.

If it was within the 30 days eBay allows it doesn't necessarily need to be returned in original condition. The MBG states that returns of a used or damaged item are covered if "The use was necessary to determine the quality or functioning of the item, or the damage was the result of that use." So I would submit that opening the phone because of the cracked screen was necessary to determine the "quality or functioning of the item".

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

If it was within the 30 days eBay allows it doesn't necessarily need to be returned in original condition. The MBG states that returns of a used or damaged item are covered if "The use was necessary to determine the quality or functioning of the item, or the damage was the result of that use." So I would submit that opening the phone because of the cracked screen was necessary to determine the "quality or functioning of the item".

I would think that would apply only upon receipt of the item, though.  The way I'm reading the OP, they were determining the Q & F after the damage had occurred on the buyer's watch long after the item was received.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

do you have link how to open INAD claim, as buyer?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I bought it on 18 Sept 2023

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Question is it way to prevent this staff as original/new on Ebay?
Do we have any link/claim/request to prevent this fraud?
The seller is still there and still selling items, it  has 97% positive feedback.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You are possibly missing a point here.

eBay's Money Back Guarantee can be used only within 30 days of receipt of the defective item.

Your purchase was 09/18/23.  You are inquiring about what you can do on 03/23/24.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@a.yanochkin,

"Do we have any link/claim/request to prevent this fraud"?

There is absolutely no way, ebay can verify that each of the millions of new listings posted from around the world daily are what the seller says they are.  That means that buyers have to use the tools ebay provides to check a seller's reputation. 

One thing you should know is that China based sellers are not allowed to sell New, brand named items even ones made in China, outside of China.

Since it has been over 6 months since you bought the phone, you are past the dates that ebay, paypal, and most credit card providers allow for getting refunds or resolution.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@a.yanochkin wrote:

do you have link how to open INAD claim, as buyer?

The 30 day return policy on Ebay has expired. (INAD)

It is important to read Ebay's Money Back Gaurantee (MBG) so you are familiar with how you are protected.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply