cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a mess...what to do...

I bought 7 ACEO's from a seller, actually won them at auction for .99 each.  Seller had 2.35 each for s/h so I of course messaged first to ask if she offered combined shipping.  She said yes so I bid on them.

I won them and asked for a request total through the cart.  Got the dreaded 'seller does not offer combined shipping'.  I messaged seller and asked for a revised invoice.  Got a message back that the cards would be shipped together in one envelope.  Which they were.  Is she being deliberately obtuse?  I paid 23.38 for the cards and 6.93 was cards and the rest shipping.

I was reminded by eBay to pay, and it was clear to me that the seller was just messing with me and not going to refund anything so I paid the whole thing.  I did make it clear to her that I was not happy.  This is her final message to me from a few days ago.

"I know you liked my art, but I think it would be best if you no longer purchase any of it.
You will never be a happy camper. I don't like being put in the position I am in. We are done!"

I soooooooooo wanted to reply with something on the order of..."We are NOT done, I still have feedback to leave."  But my better sense told me to come here and seek advice.  She has perfect feedback, mostly from buying.  The cards are nice and I would have cheerfully paid the exorbitant shipping if I had known up front.  The total for shipping was 5.10 and it had tracking number which she didn't include in eBay.  She also didn't add stiffener or write please do not bend on the envelope.  Just threw the cards in willy nilly.

I am not sure what to do.  I feel that she deliberately jerked me around and that she makes money off the shipping.  Help.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

If the items you purchased are not in the condition stated in the listing , open a return for  “doesn’t match pictures or description” upload a picture of damaged items, follow the prompts. The seller has 3 days to issue you a return label( the seller will be paying return shipping) when you receive the return label pack up the items and mail them out. When the seller receives the return they have 2 days to issue a refund. If by the third day they haven’t done that you can go back to the return request and ask eBay to step in. 

Good luck. 

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

I would give the 81 year old seller a break. She deserves it.

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

I'm split on this situtation.

I see the seller told you they would combine but doesn't mention if they will reimburse you.

You only paid what you agreed to pay. When you bid on the auction you accepted the potential S/H.

Many of the sellers on the platform make a bit from the S/H, especially when the item they sell is only 0.99.

If the product is damaged because they didn't ship it right and you want to return then follow what @ebooksdiva said.

If you want to keep it, you may have to just accept the S/H. 

You can always leave negative feedback.

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

If the seller had been upfront with me then I wouldn't be upset.  I tried to copy/paste the whole message chain but eBay kept disallowing it, even though I had no names.  The cards weren't damaged luckily so I am going to keep them.  It was the way she just danced around the real issue that bugs me the most.  Unless she is really stupid and thinks combined shipping is just using one envelope to mail the cards...then she lied to me.

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

It depends upon your own mood, really.   

If you would have paid the total, had you not been given to think you'd get the cards for less, you could let it go or perhaps leave a neutral, noting the poor packing.

If you're in the mood to neg, it would be legitimate to say:  Nice artwork but seller reneged on promise to combine shipping, so I paid over three times the actual shipping cost for seven ACEOs mailed loose and unprotected in an unpadded envelope.

If she thinks you have an attitude, you could let her see what a real attitude is like. 

-

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

I would assume there is a communication break-down, and she is not being obtuse.

The bottom line is that you are paying $3.50 for original art in an ACEO size.    You are not getting ripped off, so enjoy the beauty she created for you and the world, and put aside the unnecessary stress of hassling over a few dollars.

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

I appreciate everyone's views.  But if a seller wants 3.50 for a card then they should list it for 3.50.  Maxine, love your comment.  Made me laugh.  The envelope did have a bit of padding though.  Not much but a bit, and she did put the cards in plastic sleeves so there is that.  She also included a note that says  "Thank you for all of your continuing support.  I'm so happy you enjoy my art."  That made me laugh too, tho I won't be doing any support 'continuing' or otherwise.

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

Orangehound...I just don't like being lied to, or jerked around.

Message 9 of 64
latest reply

Combine shipping sometimes only does mean putting in a single package.

I don't agree with if the seller wants $3.50 they should list it for $3.50.

They listed it for what they wanted, and you accepted it.

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

Her age shouldn't matter...I am 71.  And would never have done this.  Here is the first message she sent as a reply to my query.

"Yes, I do combined shipping. Not a problem. I have six by 9 Yellow envelopes holding six cards, and I cover the postage."

This led me to believe that I would be getting a revised invoice, and then she basically  just ignored me.

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

I would give the 81 year old seller a break. She deserves it.

No age card - older does not excuse incompetence. 

@moondogblues  That seller has shuffled you off in a typically passive-agressive manner. I would leave an appropriate feedback. If she was going to charge you all that shipping anyway, she could have done a better job packing, that would have gone a long way,  but she didn't even go that far, and evidently refuses to learn the lesson of not starting her art at 99 cents. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 64
latest reply

"I tried to 'request' a total through the shopping cart and got the message 'seller has disallowed combined shipping'. What is my next step, or can you adjust the shipping from your end?
Thanks!

Her reply:  "I have them in one envelope (6 x 9) and am paying for the postage. Thay are in the mail."

Then eBay reminded me to pay so I did.  Then sent this:  "You never had a solution to the problem. There never was combined shipping. I just paid the whole amount, less than 6 dollars for the cards and over 14.00 for shipping.  Not a happy camper."

Message 13 of 64
latest reply

The total for shipping was 5.10 and it had tracking number which she didn't include in eBay.

She may have added that after having an argument with you.

I use Free Shipping and usually don't track, but when I pay more to add it, it's because of something the buyer did.

She also didn't add stiffener or write please do not bend on the envelope. Just threw the cards in willy nilly.

If the cards were damaged, you can open a Not As Described.

But not adding a stiffener is just stupid and lazy.

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

"I see the seller told you they would combine but doesn't mention if they will reimburse you.

You only paid what you agreed to pay. When you bid on the auction you accepted the potential S/H."

Robbie, I always ask about combined shipping before I bid or buy.  Which I did, and she told me yes.  So I was bidding in good faith that I would get a break on the shipping.

Message 15 of 64
latest reply