cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW, I just submitted an offer - it was Accepted - and PAID AUTOmatically

WOW, I just submitted an offer - it was Accepted - and PAID AUTOmatically  I would have used different card or payment source.   That is not right.  I didn't sign up for auto pay nor did I authorize it.   Can't turn it off apparently either.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The authorization would have been there when you submitted the offer.  You likely breezed past it because you weren't expecting it.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This is from eBay’s help page about making an offer. 

Here’s a quote from the page. Note point 4.

1. Choose Make Offer.
  2. Enter your offer. If you like, you can add a message to the seller.
  3. Select Review offer.
  4. On the next page, you may be asked to confirm your payment and shipping information. Select Change if you need to add or edit your details.
  5. Select Send offer.
No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Didn't you have to add a payment source when you submitted the offer?

Have a great day
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I did not see that but I may have missed it since it’s never been there before you made an offer and if it was accepted then the Seller would send you an invoice. The next you would choose a payment method and pay it.seller would send you an invoice. The next you would choose a payment method and pay it.

Here is the message I got from eBay

We automatically charged your Mastercard ending in **** for this purchase.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Yeah I didn’t see that. I’ve made offers for years on eBay so I never looked for anything like that.
 I put the offer and I added a little note that the offer included the shipping charge she was asking. I didn’t see anything about payment. However, I’ll look next time. I’m gonna be very careful about making offers.

Here is the follow up message I got from eBay:

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Maybe it was there but I don’t remember seeing it. I even included a message to the seller so I didn’t see it on that page but I might’ve not scroll down because I was on my iPhone.

here is the message I got from eBay afterwards:

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@trains23107 wrote:

I did not see that but I may have missed it since it’s never been there before you made an offer and if it was accepted then the Seller would send you an invoice. The next you would choose a payment method and pay it.seller would send you an invoice. The next you would choose a payment method and pay it.

Here is the message I got from eBay

You need to remove that card right away here as it's stored with the eBay payments processor in Amsterdamn.

Only pay when you're ready to check out and don't store your card, @trains23107. Or pay with PayPal and store your card there.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@trains23107 wrote:

Maybe it was there but I don’t remember seeing it. I even included a message to the seller so I didn’t see it on that page but I might’ve not scroll down because I was on my iPhone.

here is the message I got from eBay afterwards:

You need to remove that card right away here as it's stored with the eBay payments processor in Amsterdamn.

Only pay when you're ready to check out and don't store your card, @trains23107. Or pay with PayPal and store your card there.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@trains23107,

You replied to myangel.... stating;

"I’ve made offers for years on eBay so I never looked for anything like that... I didn't see anything about payment... However, I’ll look next time".

Now you know that some sellers are requiring immediate payment, and that it is below the normal Make an offer info.  I haven't made any offers in quite awhile, so I have never noticed that now the payment method is being prefilled.  Things like new policies are easily missed when using phones and the app. So you may want to start always scrolling to the bottom of each page, or use a computer when making purchases.

"I put the offer and I added a little note that the offer included the shipping charge she was asking".

FYI, Since you also sell and have Best Offer on some of your listings, you should know that Offers are only for the price of an item, and cannot include the shipping cost.  With an automatic payment required, a seller cannot even send a combined shipping invoice, they can only refund after the fact if a buyer has more than one offer accepted and they will combine shipping. 

You may want to check your buyer requirements list to see if the immediate payment option was checked without your permission. It is below all of the other ones I found it had been on my selling account.  In the screen shot I provided below, the encircled " i " had been clicked on. Despite what it says, it seems that all buyers, not just selected ones are being forced to add a payment method, meaning you could not combine shipping if you wanted,  but would have to refund part of a payment.

mudshark61369_0-1676722102289.png

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

There is no need to remove your card, Ayden is one of the largest, most trusted payment processors in the world.  They do the processing for Etsy too.  

This is happening b/c eBay is testing out something new, for several months now that is requiring payment when an offer is made in order to cut down on people who make offers & then never pay.   You are apparently opted in to this & yes, as Mudshark showed, there is a spot for Sellers to check that they want it, but it only is effective if the Buyer is opted in.   There has been no final decision made on this.  There are pluses & minuses for everyone. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

No, I can't remove my card because as a seller you are required to have a payment source on file.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@trains23107,

"I can't remove my card because as a seller you are required to have a payment source on file".

Why not start a new ID for buying only?  I've had two selling only IDs since 2003 and 1 other ID for buying only since 1998.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I just had the same thing happen to me. I didn't knowingly authorize Ebay to do this!!  I would've made the paymentl myself. If Ebay wouldn't have been decent enough to send me an email with the option, I would've said no. I do not like Ebay doing this. How can I turn this off. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

If Ebay wouldn't have been decent enough to send me an email with the option, I would've said no.

@mpcac 

eBay presents it as a "pop up" declaring "New Smoother Checkout" or "New! Now you can...." which will not let you proceed until you select a default payment source for making offers or bidding.  They tell you it is for your convenience as a buyer.  They don't tell you that you will be auto-billed, no combined shipments will apply and your payment sources will be limited.  If you use your seller account to bid or make offers, I suppose they can pick one of those that you already have on file. 

You can check your own requirements here: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

These won't work UNLESS eBay forces the Buyer ID into the program.  Apparently, you signed up somewhere along the way?  or sign up is no longer required if you use your seller ID? 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply