cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS verified delivery to wrong address - still marked as delivered in their system

I bought a fairly high dollar item (~$600) that was delivered to a random address per the USPS GPS delivery scan. The USPS is not having luck getting the item returned to them and the seller is not responding to my messages. I hate to file a complaint against the seller as it was not their fault that the package was misplaced. I also do not know if they insured the item.

Meanwhile, the USPS is not sure they can go back in and mark the package as lost on their end and change the "delivered" status.  What would my next best steps be? I don't want to wait a long time to file a claim but the post office keeps stringing this along.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

USPS verified delivery to wrong address - still marked as delivered in their system

Hi @miath35 

Were you told by USPS that your name and address were on the package?  That is something that is crucial to know.  It is the difference between a misdelivered package and one that was deliberately shipped to the wrong address.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Open the MBG claim.

The seller can fight it out with USPS for any insurance on the package. You have time limits on your action, and cannot be certain Ebay will rule in your favor on the original claim, and you may have to escalate the problem, possibly even to your credit card issuer.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The seller won't respond because ebay ruled that the package was lost by the post office so it is not the sellers fault. So they have no reason to help.

The seller did have the correct shipping information - it was delivered to a random address two miles away per the post office GPS scan. I have made a claim with my credit card but it is crap that eBay is not helping at all even though they acknowledge that I proved that the package never reached my address. The post office is telling me to make a claim but I can't because I can't get the information they need to make the claim.  I have no way to even let ebay know that the seller is not responding. I didn't have a choice on how the item was sent and whether it was fully insured. For a $600 item, I would have paid more to go with FedEx or UPS.

At this point, this is kind of a crusade to see if I can even let ebay know the seller is not responding or helping at all. I guess just a bad experience. Learned my lesson and will only buy from reputable businesses from now on, even if it costs more.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The seller won't respond because ebay ruled that the package was lost by the post office so it is not the sellers fault.

This sounds like something a seller might say to run out the clock on an MBG.

If you have not already filed the MBG claim do so. The seller is responsible for the delivery of the item, whether it is USPS' fault or not.

If Ebay claims it is delivered, this is the time for a credit card dispute with the issuer of your card. If you paid with PayPal they will accept a dispute.

If you did anything else, your rights may differ.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

@miath35 wrote:

I have made a claim with my credit card but it is crap that eBay is not helping at all even though they acknowledge that I proved that the package never reached my address.

I have no way to even let ebay know that the seller is not responding.

At this point, this is kind of a crusade to see if I can even let ebay know the seller is not responding or helping at all. 

If you have not already filed the MBG claim do so. The seller is responsible for the delivery of the item, whether it is USPS' fault or not.

If Ebay claims it is delivered, this is the time for a credit card dispute with the issuer of your card. If you paid with PayPal they will accept a dispute.

We don't read what you wrote @miath35 

-- but now that "I have made a claim with my credit card" 

-- you've most definitely "let eBay know that the seller is not responding"

because your credit card chargeback will get the $600 back from the seller via eBay.

Don't crusade eBay or contact the seller anymore, because once you've gone to your credit card, eBay is only a bystander in the chargeback. Just wait for your card issuer to get your refund.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

How do you file a MBG? I have no way of contacting eBay. They say the decision is final. Not much of a money back guarantee... They do have all the paperwork showing that the package was delivered incorrectly. I am not blaming the seller except for the fact that they have not helped or even responded. You don't have much recourse do you?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

How do you file a MBG? 

@miath35 

You have already filed with your credit card, after your eBay "item not received"  Money Back Guarantee (MBG)  claim was denied. Now eBay will no longer help you, per their user agreement.  The eBay system is automated.  Any time there is a status of "delivered" associated with the order, you will lose any eBay claim for "item not received" even if you didn't get the parcel.  This includes both misdelivered packages OR packages intentionally sent to another address in your zipcode as part of a well known scam.  The Money Back Guarantee is a FAIL, unless you know where to go for assistance and what to do.  Generally, it s NOT using the regular customer service you get in a call back or chat, but rather contacting eBay via one of their social media portals.  You will not find that information on eBay, but rather the information is posted on these forums instead.  The steps you need to take are the same if the parcel was mis-delivered, or never intended for you at all.  Those options were closed once you filed with your c.card. 

Hopefully, when you filed with your c.card, you made it very clear that this was NOT a regular 'item not received' issue, but one of mis-delivery to another address.  Otherwise, when they submit the claim to eBay, they will respond with the same old 'delivered' status, and you may lose again.  

Good luck, and do let us know how it turns out. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I do have documentation from the Post Office stating that they misdelivered the package. The credit card has not asked for any additional information yet. They have credited me... but we'll see if that sticks.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Sounds like the fake tracking number scam.  That is were a cheap item is sent to an address in your zip code.  That is good enough for eBay.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@miath35 wrote:

The seller won't respond because ebay ruled that the package was lost by the post office so it is not the sellers fault.

Not how that works.

It something was "ruled" lost, whatever that means, a seller is still responsible and is a easy MBG win for a buyer.

If it shows delivery or attempted delivery a seller would most likely ignore you or report the buyer and the seller wins the INR case.

You would need confirmation from the USPS that ebay can see to win that case or win an appeal.

If it shows delivered and a buyer files with their card provider, the buyer will win but the seller is protected and ebay pays you.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply