cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The automated help couldn't resolve that an item was delivered to the wrong address

the item that the seller said was delivered, was delivered to the wrong address

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The automated help couldn't resolve that an item was delivered to the wrong address

I'm confused!

It doesn't sound like it was the fault of the delivery company; I was told it was delivered to an address in Florida.

For me to comment any further would-be pure conjecture.

The seller said He doesn't understand, so it sounds like he/she doesn't want to take responsibility.

Now you know everything I know.

Regards

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Assuming that you are the buyer, first step needs to be discovering why this happened.

Did the package have the wrong address? Seller's mistake.

Did the package have the right address, but was delivered to the wrong one? Carrier's mistake.

You need to contact the carrier ASAP and start working on this.  They will not tell you where it was delivered, but will tell you whether or not the package had your correct address on it.  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'm confused!

It doesn't sound like it was the fault of the delivery company; I was told it was delivered to an address in Florida.

For me to comment any further would-be pure conjecture.

The seller said He doesn't understand, so it sounds like he/she doesn't want to take responsibility.

Now you know everything I know.

Regards

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

OK, I stand by my statement.  

You apparently still don't know what address was on the package.

If the address was yours, but the package was delivered elsewhere, problem with courier.

If the address was not yours, seller screwed up.

Check with the courier.  They won't tell you where it was delivered (although you appear to already know that) but they can tell you whether or not the address on the package was yours.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Check your purchase history order details to verify that the correct address was provided with the payment. That is the address the seller should have shipped to.

Assuming that is correct, then contact the shipper to see if the tracking number corresponds to a delivery to your address or not.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@eyesareup,

"It doesn't sound like it was the fault of the delivery company; I was told it was delivered to an address in Florida... For me to comment any further would-be pure conjecture.

The seller said He doesn't understand, so it sounds like he/she doesn't want to take responsibility".

A seller who is concerned that they paid a company to ship an item, to one of their buyers, who then delivered it to a wrong address, would be working with you to find it. Their attitude suggests they know the item was not addressed properly.

Since they are unwilling to help, you will have to get the information needed to get a refund. eBay's automated help system can't do much in these situations. If you file an item not received (INR) dispute, you will lose because there is a Delivered scan, which is the only info ebay is allowed to get, because of shipper's privacy policies. 

However, when that happens the message telling you that they closed the dispute will have an appeal button in it.  You have 30 days from the date you receive the message to appeal. To win the appeal you have to do some leg work to get the info you need to win and get a refund.

You will have to go to your P.O. or  local UPS or FedEx store.  You need to bring a copy of your order details page which shows your address and the tracking number with you. If you bought using a phone or tablet, you can bring that to show the clerk the order details.

You want to ask the clerk to check the label address against the one on the details page, and also ask them to check the Package type/size weight info to see if was is appropriate for what you should have received.  If the info does not match up, you ask the clerk to write a note on Company stationary saying in general that the shipping label's address was not yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight was not right for what you should have received. Do not ask for specific address or package info, they cannot give it out.  Have the clerk sign and date the note.

Once you have the note, you can appeal the dispute ruling, or contact ebay through their Facebook or Twitter social media pages. (links below)  If you appeal, there will be a place to attach a photo or scan of the note you got.  You can write out what happened and what you found out, and add a CLEAR photo or a scan of the note to an appeal or message.

If you go the social media route which is recommended, because the reps know about the fake tracking number scams you will need to have the seller's username and the ebay item number. (Not the order number w/ hyphens)  At the end of your message give them your real and ebay username.  Another advantage of going the Social media route instead of filing an INR dispute is that you will have the ability to leave appropriate feedback telling others what happened.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://twitter.com/askebay

In the future I strongly suggest that you check the feedback profile pages of each seller you intend to buy from, before bidding on or buying their items.  On the profile page if the seller has received neutral or negative feedback, click on the numbers of them to read only those comments. Never go by a feedback percentage alone. Some people who have been scammed but did not file a dispute may have left feedback saying they never received their items.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I have spent all the time I am going to. If you can't refund the WHOLE $9, such a large some, I will take that into consideration for any future business as well as make this experience available to all.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Regardless,  I would want to know if there was an issue with the address as it appeared on the label. 

Sure, it may have been $9 this time, but next time it could be $900 or $9000... And I would want to make sure I wasn't making the mistake from my end and not making time to confirm my address at the time of the transaction.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I have spent all the time I am going to. If you can't refund the WHOLE $9, such a large some, I will take that into consideration for any future business as well as make this experience available to all.

eBay is not here; this is a user forum. No one here can refund your money for you, only tell you what you need to do to make that happen.

At a minimum you should check what address appears in your order details in your Purchase History, and what address appears in your account as your Primary Shipping Address to see if someone may have tampered with your account and changed the shipping address where your orders would be sent. Otherwise, your next order might be shipped to Florida as well.

https://www.ebay.com/mye/myebay/v2/purchase

https://accountsettings.ebay.com/uas/addresses

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Well said - the OP may be " over it", but it will not be a waste of further time for the OP to take a minute or two to review the info they may be overlooking when they speed-push the confirm and submit payment button. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

My experience has been as a seller has been that the wrong address issue is because the Buyer has not updated their address in Ebay's system.  Most sellers ship using ebays system which pulls the address in the system onto the label. You mention that it was delivered to Florida - I have had a few cases where buyers have partial year residences in FL and then another house up North and forget to switch it back when they leave Florida.  It also crops up when accounts aren't updated to college residences etc. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You mention that it was delivered to Florida - I have had a few cases where buyers have partial year residences in FL and then another house up North and forget to switch it back when they leave Florida.

Florida is also known for many freight forwarding addresses in Doral or other locations around Miami. New Castle, Delaware is another common forwarding location.

When someone tells me that a package was unexpectedly shipped to Florida or Delaware instead of to the buyer's actual address, that is what I immediately think of.

If a hacker gains access to an eBay account but cannot use the account to make purchases directly, some hackers will change the primary shipping address to a freight forwarding location, so that any future orders are by default shipped to the scammer's forwarding address unless the buyer notices the change before placing the next order.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply