cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snipe sites

707b-19
Explorer

If selling on E-bay is a sniped bid considered a binding bid?

Since its 3rd party do I have the right to deny the sale no matter what?

I absolutely hate this on Ebay!!!

I don't care how much more $$ its the principle, I consider it unethical.

Example: I was bidding on an item for 9 days and when time on bid ran out i was still top bid,

actually went into my "buy now" menu for a couple of seconds (got a screenshot  since this is not first time its happened)then it disappears and when I  checked it says I lost item.

Absolutely furious!

Has this happened to others?

In short if I have to accept sniped bids from those scum sites I will not sell on Ebay.

Please advise or share your experiences.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Snipe sites

Yes, a sniped bid is valid and binding. If they pay, you ship, just like any auction result.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

I am not sure where you get a third party from, it is a tool/process a bidder can use, just like a seller may use a listing tool and certainly not against eBay protocol, nor is it unethical.

eBay may not be the place for you as you have mentioned as many experienced bidders will use a proxy or a snipe program, and yes if they win they are binding.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

I used to use sniping software (back in the day when I bid on auctions) because I couldn't be hanging around that auction in the closing minutes like a cook around her soup - I might be at work, or gone, etc.  If people want the item, they're going to do whatever it takes to get it.  The nature of an auction is that it's impossible to know who is going to win at the end.  I also lost auctions due to this.  It's the nature of the beast.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

...what a coincidence...the same situation just happened today to me...I placed an item on my watchlist, totally forgot the bidding, until eBay sent a "ding dong" bell reminding time is running out to bid for that item at the last 15 minutes of listing...

...so I hurried to place a bid, it was rejected as I can't bid less than the Buy It Now price...ok, I'll bid more than...but still got rejected again as can't bid over the BIN price either...what is going on here with eBay, very indecisive...make up your mind please eBay...

...after several attempts to bid or even tried to buy directly as there wasn't any bidder but myself...the listing was ended...checked back later just realized it was sold out...

...upset...nah...angry...nah...disappointed...nah...just simply thought what a dumb person I was...!!!

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

@707b-19 wrote:

If selling on E-bay is a sniped bid considered a binding bid?

Since its 3rd party do I have the right to deny the sale no matter what?

I absolutely hate this on Ebay!!!

I don't care how much more $$ its the principle, I consider it unethical.

Example: I was bidding on an item for 9 days and when time on bid ran out i was still top bid,

actually went into my "buy now" menu for a couple of seconds (got a screenshot  since this is not first time its happened)then it disappears and when I  checked it says I lost item.

Absolutely furious!

Has this happened to others?

In short if I have to accept sniped bids from those scum sites I will not sell on Ebay.

Please advise or share your experiences.

Thank you!

How do you know a sniping service was used?

I rarely bid on Auctions but when I do I rarely bid sooner than the last 3 - 5 seconds and I could probably get it down to the last 2 seconds.

If you got sniped at the last moment it's because you didn't bid high enough.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

@bbravo65 wrote:

...what a coincidence...the same situation just happened today to me...I placed an item on my watchlist, totally forgot the bidding, until eBay sent a "ding dong" bell reminding time is running out to bid for that item at the last 15 minutes of listing...

...so I hurried to place a bid, it was rejected as I can't bid less than the Buy It Now price...ok, I'll bid more than...but still got rejected again as can't bid over the BIN price either...what is going on here with eBay, very indecisive...make up your mind please eBay...

...after several attempts to bid or even tried to buy directly as there wasn't any bidder but myself...the listing was ended...checked back later just realized it was sold out...

...upset...nah...angry...nah...disappointed...nah...just simply thought what a dumb person I was...!!!

Unless there has been a change in auctions you can indeed place a bid LESS than a BIN, you can also place a bid for more than BIN, a BIN is not a reserve> what have I missed? 

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

@downunder-61 

...believe me, up until this moment of typing my rely to you, I still couldn't understand that bidding situation today...and this is not the first time I bid something on eBay...

...so weird...!!!

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

Yes, a sniping bid is a legally binding bid.

Sniping at the very last seconds of an auction is legal and not unethical. It only ticks off a hopeful buyer, like what happened to you, when one of the snipers was the top bidder at the end. Many bidders wait until the last 5 seconds of an auction in order to put in their top bid and attempt to freeze out everyone else who is also sniping at the same time.

In order to have a better chance at getting the item if you cannot be at your computer when the auction is ending, make sure your top automatic bid is high enough to give you the chance to still outbid snipers (admittedly almost always futile). The fact that you lost the bid is that your top automatic bid was not high enough to win over snipers, who wanted the item more than you, and therefore bid more than you ultimately did.

Quite a few years ago, another online auction site or two started extending the auction end when sniping happened, but they didn't do as well as those sites that still allow it with a definite auction end, like Ebay.

I nearly always only buy fixed price items, because I don't want to be forced to be at my computer when an auction is scheduled to end. But in the past when I really, really wanted something on Ebay at auction, I was one of those last-minute snipers doing my best to get it. And it often worked.

Again, there is nothing wrong or unethical, and it's similar to a live auction house, when someone at the last minute before the gavel is down, speaks up with a very high bid, and the other bidders fall out.

Instead of complaining about it, you may want to try it sometime on an item you really want. It can actually be very exciting to make a bid within the last 5 seconds or so, and see if you are the winner.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

Use buy it now (if offered) or bid your highest price you are willing to pay. 

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

@duffy4444  I remember I'd be trying to snipe myself and my clunky internetz would hiccup - GAAAHHH! 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

Oh yeah.. It makes you mad, It is a old live auction technique in digital form.

Let all of the low dollar folks fight it out,  and come in end the end with your "real" bid and put them to shame.

If the buyer is legit, it's all good.

You will just have to prepare for last second disappointment...

it happens to me. I have 30 years in the real and digital auction world including employment.

It sends me cussing and flailing my arms on regular occasions.

Good luck!

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

chapeau-noir,

Same thing happened to me in times past before reliable high speed internet, when I had to use a modem and I couldn't gauge the remaining time accurately. Now it can be trusted all the way down to 2 seconds from the auction end.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

@duffy4444 wrote:

chapeau-noir,

Same thing happened to me in times past before reliable high speed internet, when I had to use a modem and I couldn't gauge the remaining time accurately. Now it can be trusted all the way down to 2 seconds from the auction end.

Cheers, Duffy

For your listening enjoyment (if you go to the site, the comments are pretty funny, too).

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 47
latest reply

Snipe sites

@bbravo65 wrote:

@downunder-61 

...believe me, up until this moment of typing my rely to you, I still couldn't understand that bidding situation today...and this is not the first time I bid something on eBay...

...so weird...!!!

Huh, well I know this is unlikely on a site such as this, you know always running smoothly and all, but I think it may have been a glitch, as unusual as that sounds it is all I can think of LOL

Message 15 of 47
latest reply