cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller told ebay that I cancelled order and gave refund.

Ebay sent me refund for purchase and stated seller said I wanted to cancel order which is not true. I got to looking around and discovered several different sellers with no feedback selling the same type of item. Are these scammers? Do they get my credit card info? How can I find info to contact Ebay directly as I have found no way to talk to a real person. Thanks for you advise. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@te_512251 wrote:

Ebay sent me refund for purchase and stated seller said I wanted to cancel order which is not true. I got to looking around and discovered several different sellers with no feedback selling the same type of item. Are these scammers? Do they get my credit card info? How can I find info to contact Ebay directly as I have found no way to talk to a real person. Thanks for you advise. 

You got your refund.  Seller did not get your credit card info, although they probably did get your name and address and phone number.

If you believe you were wronged by seller cancelling for an inappropriate reason you can report the seller to eBay.

If you need to talk to costumer service there is an option to get a callback.  Or you can go through Facebook apparently.

Without any details, generalities is all other eBay members can offer you.  Good luck to you.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi @te_512251 

Sellers refund by saying ‘Buyer requested cancellation’ in order to avoid  getting a ‘defect’ on their eBay account.

Buyer can report the seller for lying about the reason for the cancellation.  

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Under Managed Payments sellers aren't told how a buyer pays, eBay just tells us you have paid and to ship the item. It is eBay's payment processor, Ayden, that receives your payment info. The only way a seller might be able to determine how you paid is if you opened a chargeback through your payment source and that info was disclosed in the notice to the seller.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@te_512251,

Did you read everything on the listing page? If not you may find that the seller does not want to sell to (0) feedback buyers. 

Was the refund almost immediately issued or was was it issued a few days later? If it took a few days for the seller to cancel, it could be because they are a new seller or one who has not sold anything in over a year.  If that is the case the seller may not know that ebay places a 21 day hold on new/returning sellers first few payments. On their account the Payment status is shown as Pending, so they do not think the funds have been received. Those sellers will either cancel transactions or make up excuses for not shipping items.  Until you have more experience using ebay, you should avoid buying from very low or (0) sellers. They may be legit, but do things that can make people think they are scammers.

New or inexperienced sellers may also take ebay's poor advice to start auctions at a low price; To encourage bidding, which often does not work out for them. They get 1-2 bids, are not happy with the results and cancel.

You should always check a seller's feedback profile page before buying from them. You do that by clicking on the number in (  ) to the right of their username. Yours is currently (0). 

On the page that opens click on the As a seller page, to see if they have received any feedback for selling at all or from over a year ago.  A seller could have a fair number of feedback and a 100% rating, but it could all be for buying at least in the last 12 months.  Never go by a seller's feedback percentage alone.

If the seller is experienced they should be reported for cancelling because the Buyer requested it. 

Use the link below to contact ebay. On the first page use the blue Report seller button.

Next page select seller has violated an ebay policy > Continue

Next Pg. enter the seller's username, select Other, then in the text box write.

The seller used an invalid reason for cancelling the transaction. Check my messages I did not request canceling the transaction. The seller selected that option and has relisted the item at a higher price.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 5
latest reply