cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sent me a broken item, insists it's not the same item they sent out after I filed a complaint

I have no words to express the amount of stress this has caused me today.

I bought an old video game from an Italian seller, an old tabletop VFD Game called Fitter.

The seller claimed the game was working in their description and judging by the images it sure did seem like it so I bought it. They accepted my offer and I bought it for a total of 66 euros, with 20 euros shipping from Italy, to my country Macedonia. I've bought many games over the years from eBay, I've had an eBay account since 2015 and never experienced anything even remotely similar to this.

We picked up the unit from the post office today and when I opened it I noticed that the unit I had received had the logo sticker on it which was missing from the seller's photos. I assumed the seller was kind enough to provide me with a game unit with the sticker instead of the one they showed without but when I turned it on and got the display test without a way to actually play the game it became apparent that the unit was broken. 
I immediately contacted the seller with the following message, also sent the seller photos of the game not operating as intended:

"Hello, friend
I received the Fitter I bought from you today and it's clearly a different unit than the one in your photos, this one has the sticker on it that was missing from your photos, I appreciate the inclusion of the sticker but I can't get the unit to play.
When I turn it on in the A or B position, all I get is the display test screen and nothing else. I can't start the game, pressing the red button does nothing.
I'm using brand new C Batteries that work fine on my other VFD Tabletop games.
I believe the unit is damaged, I can't get past the test screen and is unplayable.'

IMG_3899.JPGIMG_3897.JPG

Their response was swift and quite rude

Seller:

"hi, the video game in the photos you sent me is not the item I sent
the item I sent does not have the sticker
and worked perfectly as you see in my photos. I don't want to argue but what you sent is not my object"

I opened a claim that the item I got wasn't as described and a return dispute, tho I got a notice the seller does not accept returns. I also sent the seller photos of the package/box the game arrived in with all the details needed on the box of course, but the seller, now in Italian keeps claiming this isn't the game they sent in both messages and in the return/refund dispute and they keep repeating the same thing no mater what I say.

I gave them negative feedback explaining the situation in my feedback

I tried to keep my feedback polite

"This morning I received a clearly different unit from the one pictured and it does not work, the seller now claims that this is not the same unit they shipped and claims I'm trying to scam them 😞 I've never had such an experience on eBay before. I politely reached out to the seller about the issue. Perhaps maybe the seller has somebody else packing and sending items for them and they made a mistake, I've been buying games and systems from eBay for years and never had an experience like this :("

but their response to that was this unprofessional and childish post which doesn't differ much from the rest of their messages:

Seller:

"Falsità!!!!!!! Tenta di truffare il venditore inviando foto di altri oggetti danneggiati!!! Acquirente scorretto!!!"
Seeing that I added a little more to my feedback

My Follow up: 

"I contacted eBay support and they checked the images I submitted as proof, I also recorded a video both the pics and video show that the back of a Fitter unit in one of the seller's pictures matches the one I received this morning. It has the same blemishes on the back sticker and unit itself. So clearly the unit I got was also owned by them. The seller's conduct has been unprofessional and downright childish in regards to the situation. They resort to accusations, panicking and not cooperating."

After some back and forth with messages and my dispute claim with me explaining the situation politely and the seller constantly repeating they won't have their word questioned and that I am trying to scam them I did some more comparing between the unit I got and the one pictured in the seller's listing.

These are the seller's listing pictures

s-l1600 (67).jpgs-l1600 (68).jpg

Upon further investigation I can concur that this is indeed seems like the same unit as pictured, however it seems after the seller, realized the unit was not operational anymore so instead of cancelling the sale they decided to add the logo sticker themselves maybe, make it seem old and used and ship the faulty unit to me ready to claim it's a different unit as soon as I receive it and see it's not working.
The dirt in the lower left of the display on the unit I got and the one pictured is the same, the blemishes/marks on the yellow Change and start sticker lower left of the red button are also the same as the ones in the seller's picture. The back of the unit has the same markings as the one I got this morning as well, most importantly the dirt inside the screen on the lower left angle of the screen is exactly the same in both units.

Pics I took to compare further:

IMG_3923.JPGIMG_3944.JPG

I firmly believe the seller knew they were sending a faulty unit now and are trying to scam me out of 66 euros 😞 PLEASE HELP! I did contact eBay chat and opened a dispute but I feel they might not be able to handle this fully.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Seller sent me a broken item, insists it's not the same item they sent out after I filed a complaint

Go back to the case you opened for INAD and ask eBay to step in

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I don't have the option to do that yet, the chat support folk said it will become available on July 7th.

The seller is very rude and I worry that even if we agree for me to ship the item back they will find some way to scam me again.

I've been nothing but polite but these are the type of responses I get form them.

This is the latest response I got in the claim from them

"sono stanco di sentire le tue falsità!!! quello non è l'oggetto che io ho spedito!!! non accetto questa contestazione"

According to google this translates to:

"I'm tired of hearing your lies!!! that is not the object that I sent!!! I do not accept this claim"

The use of multiple exclamation marks is very off putting and odd, their messages sound borderline psychotic.

I got that response after I politely explained the similarities between the game they sent me and the one I got, they responded with

"The seller sent you a message
quello non è l'oggetto che io ho spedito non accetto che venga messa in dubbio la mia parola e non accetto di essere truffato sarà Ebay a valutare"
Translation:
"that is not the object that I sent I do not accept that my word is questioned and I do not accept being scammed Ebay will evaluate"

The seller is always aggressive and I have no way of getting eBay involved until July 7th and I fear they will find another way to scam me, they won't allow their word to be questioned, come on now. To that I simply responded with

"

I already spoke to eBay and they will evaluate the situation indeed."

and well, they said they were tier of my lies

I'm very stressed

Is there no way for eBay to get involved sooner and see how this person is reacting to everything, the chat support people were just quoting scripts to me like bots and would only get involved more when I'd beg them to stop pasting from the same script and address my issue, but overall they said to wait until the 7th. 😞

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Unless the rules on that site are quite a bit different than they are in North America you will win the claim.  The seller will be required to pay for return shipping and then refund you or refund you right away.  eBay usually does not get involved in a he said/she said situation. They take the word of the buyer that the item is not what they ordered.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Follow the prompts in the case.  Completely ignore the seller.   Do NOT CLOSE THE CASE no matter what the seller says or promises.   He has to send you a return shipping label. That is impossible since he is out of the country.  He can send you money for you to buy the label to return it back to him.   Anyway,  that is going to be pricey.   Follow the case instructions.  Do not close the case.  DO NOT pay for the label yourself unless the seller sends you the money.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the advice.

There is one problem with the seller sending me money for a shipping label.

Due to me being from Macedonia, my ability to receive money on PayPal is extremely limited, meaning I can only receive money from eBay refunds and that's it. PayPal for North Macedonia only lets us pay for stuff but we can't receive money on paypal with the exception of Refunds.

I haven't had to send anything back ever, so I don't know if the seller paying for a shipping label is something that goes through eBay or they have to send me money off eBay through paypal? If it goes through eBay there might be systems in place where the seller could send me the money, it's 20 euros to ship this device back as it cost 20 euros to ship it to me. I worry that the seller might lurk these forums now and use this to their advantage and claim they can't send me money when they in fact probably could if the system for a shipping label goes through eBay first, much like sellers can and eBay can easily refund money to me which they've done many many times for various reasons, tho nothing as bad as this.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Just wait and see what happens and on the 7th go back to the case and get eBay to step in. Any issues then come back here and let us know what is going on, but pretty sure you will be fine.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hey guys, I'm happy to report that not only eBay ruled in my favor and fully refunded me without me having to return the game, but they also acknowledged the seller's attitude, rudness and misconduct as well. 
I hope I can find someone to fix the game for me down the line though it's not looking like that will happen any time soon but even though it's broken it will get the same love and care all my other games and consoles get.

Hopefully some day it will work, but who knows.

This was fairly stressful and the seller was a menace but it all ended well.

I'm actually surprised at how responsive and understanding both eBay chat support were and whoever was handling the case once it escalated. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply