cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller is requesting positive feedback before resolving problem

Hi all:

I've only made a handful of purchases through ebay but I've made hundreds of other purchases in my life and  this doesn't seem right.  I purchased  a nice quadcopter from an ebay seller with probably 97+% positive feedback.  When I got the quadcopter, one of the batteries was damaged - however it was not from shipment as it was actually in the transmitter so I suspect it was like that prior to packaging or even from the factory.  I immediately sent pictures to the seller and  they supposedly consulted with the factory (in China) and came back and said go ahead and use it and if there are problems report back.  I wasn't satisfied with that and actually contacted the company in China and sent pictures.  They wrote back saying they did not feel the damaged battery should be used.  I wrote back to the seller, and even cut and pasted that message, and they said they could replace the battery but would appreciate it if I could first provide positive feedback.  That didn't seem right.  As far as I was concerned the transaction was really still in progress and if I were to leave positive feedback before resolution, what recourse would I have?!  I bounced this off ebay support and they agreed so I wrote again to the seller, even mentioning my call to ebay, and they still are requesting positive feedback before replacing the battery.  Should I involve ebay at this point?  I'm a bit worried because I may need the seller's help in the future as supposedly any warranty problems are supposed to go through them first before reaching out the manufacturer so want to maintain a good relationship, but again, this really doesn't seem right. I would note in every item the seller lists, they emphasize to please report problems to them and not leave negative feedback so, I've really done more than my due diligence to give them a chance.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I would not follow a seller that is trying to coerce you into leaving positive feedback, after all once he gets his positive feedback he is pretty much done with you since he didn't have to work to get it.

This also removes your ability to leave him negative feedback if he behaves like an @ss.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Open a not as described case. Do not leave positive feedback.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks.  It is really unfortunate.  Seller was very helpful with numerous prepurchase questions of the drone and I won't find an equivalent drone at this price from another manufacturer/seller.  Does a "not as described" case mean it could just all be sent back and refunded even though I'm outside of the 30 day return policy of the seller?  However, the problem was reported immediately - it has just taken this long.    Or does the "not as described" case mean they force the seller to make things right.  It really does not sit well with me - I don't like to be extorted to leave good feedback to get what I already paid for and should have gotten in the first place.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Don't listen the seller.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If you’ve passed the 30 days, open a case with PayPal, which gives you up to 180 days.
The seller was just trying to get you over the 30 days with trying to act nice.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The customer, (you) comes first. Sellers should do all they can for there customers. Seller should never ask a customer for positive feedback. Especially when this is an unresolved issue. eBay needs all the customers it can get. There are to many sellers that do not have a clue as what customer service is and should not be selling here or anywhere else. Sorry your going through this. Not all sellers are this bad. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Sounds like what I have seen referred to on these boards as "feedback extortion", and eBay doesn't allow it. Seems as though the eBay CS rep should have told you that. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Feedback extortion refers to buyers saying I will leave you negative feedback if you don’t fill in the blank to the seller.
Buyers can only get positive feedback.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@zone_out wrote:

Thanks.  It is really unfortunate.  Seller was very helpful with numerous prepurchase questions of the drone and I won't find an equivalent drone at this price from another manufacturer/seller.  Does a "not as described" case mean it could just all be sent back and refunded even though I'm outside of the 30 day return policy of the seller?  However, the problem was reported immediately - it has just taken this long.    Or does the "not as described" case mean they force the seller to make things right.  It really does not sit well with me - I don't like to be extorted to leave good feedback to get what I already paid for and should have gotten in the first place.

If you are outside of the 30 day window, you will have to open a case on Paypal which gives a much longer return window. It is highly likely that you will have to pay to ship the item back to them. If the 30 days were not up on eBay, they would have to pay shipping.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply