cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller is ghosting me after agreeing to combine shipping

Seller ghosting after agreeing to combine shipping

I'm mostly a seller, but purchased 5 items via auction, before doing so I verified with the seller that he would combine shipping. 4 items had 22.99 flat rate shipping, while the last had 59.99 shipping. The 4 at 22.99 each could easily fit in a medium priority flatrate together, and the 5th in a large priority flat rate. 72 hours have passed since the auction ended and I have reached out to the buyer to confirm combined shipping once each day, with no response. Ebay's request combined shipping button upon checkout did not work as he did not have it enabled to do so.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

1. Should I pay the exorbant shipping (5 times cost of items) and hope I get a partial refund for the combined shipping as discussed; leaving a neg review if the seller doesn't fulfill the agreement. 

2. Or should I let the time run out and not pay, thus taking 5 non-payment strikes?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'd base the decision on whether or not the items are worth it with the higher shipping, but I would definitely wait it out as long as I could. You get 96 hours before the seller is able to cancel for non-payment.

If seller is in an area impacted by winter storms, or if they had a weekend event, they may not have had internet access last few days. Or they did and they're just being a jerk going back on their word.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Most people realize "combined shipping" means adjusted shipping rate for combining. Some sellers look at "combined shipping" as "ship in the same package but don't offer a discounted rate" (I think that's bull, personally). Did your discussion with the seller specifically address a lower rate or was it just about "combined shipping"?

FYI, even though it's technically 5 strikes, because it's all the same seller within a short timespan, it will only count as 1 strike when determining whether you are affected by a seller's blocks on buyers with non-payer strikes. In case that helps you make a decision.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Sellers response prior to bidding was:

"Yes we could combine some of those shipping $"

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I'd base the decision on whether or not the items are worth it with the higher shipping, but I would definitely wait it out as long as I could. You get 96 hours before the seller is able to cancel for non-payment.

If seller is in an area impacted by winter storms, or if they had a weekend event, they may not have had internet access last few days. Or they did and they're just being a jerk going back on their word.

GLORIOUS!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Well definitely don't count on getting any sort of partial refund from him if he's already ghosting you. That's not a reliable seller. 

"I'm ready to pay for these items. I'm just waiting to hear back from you about adjusting the shipping cost like we discussed. I would hate for you to have to go through the hassle of relisting everything, and I would not like the hassle of having to buy everything again from someone else. So please get back to me soon as possible. Thanks!"

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@renewresalenc 

Have you sent a request for total?    It may not be available in your cart if you are using a mobile app.  You can also message the seller through the dropdown on one of the items in your purchase history.  There is a request for total there, or at least a 'contact seller' option.    

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Seller's about 4 hours south of me, its possible they have bad weather but our region has been unaffected. I think seller is being a dud because these items sold well below market value, even wirh over 1000 feedback. Will likely pay the price and get the items, leave neg feedback

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I hope you use different accounts for buying and selling @renewresalenc ? If not, you may want to consider that for future. 😉

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

I do use seperate accounts, 2 selling and 1 buying

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Not everyone works everyday...well, some might...weekends usually a lot of places are closed like a bank and sellers don't answer emails on the weekend.

Normal business hours are usually Monday after 9AM to Friday before 5PM. 

Careful on the emails...one email should do it.

And we don't know what state this seller is in. A lot of people lost power from storms this weekend....roads had ice or snow where it was scary to go out. Maybe the seller had a weather emergency.

I would pay for them. And if its a good seller I am sure he will refund shipping discount.

I got a shipping discount after I paid for my auctions...last week...I didn't even have to ask for it.

I purchased 3 items over the weekend also and seller gave me a shipping discount finally.

Sellers have been a little lately to respond to emails...but they eventually do.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Seller should send you an invoice listing ltem prices & combined shipping total for payment.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply