cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller did not pay postage USPS

I purchased a front lip for a car and it was shipped through USPS. The tracking went from "out for delivery" to "pickup at local post office." When I went to the post office, I found out I owed over $150 in unpaid postage. The part itself cost around $140. They said the package was too big to be shipped. Did I do something wrong here? This is the second time I have tried to buy one of these parts and had a few. I just refused it and moved on. Is this on the seller to package this part correctly? I expected it to come folded like car bumpers, but it was simply in a massive bag around 6ft long... If I want to buy a front lip in the future, will I have better luck with a different shipper like FedEx?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

How much did you pay for shipping? No, it is up to the seller to have the correct shipping in the listing and if they miscalculate it their problem. Happens to all of us but nothing like $150 short. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I find that difficult to believe.  The USPS no longer does postage due on the receiver end.  In either event, just refuse it. Short or no postage-paid items are caught in the delivery system now and the sender is billed. This is especially true of sellers on eBay.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Not much detail but surprised USPS even initially accepted the item from the seller and routed it through shipping. I have shipped 7' fishing poles in a piece of 6" diameter PVC drain pipe before without any issues. The maximum size package you can send through USPS is 108" in combined length + girth and up to 70 pounds. That can be increased to 130" using retail ground.  have had more than one discussion with USPS when I dropped the item off. In general UPS tends to be cheaper for larger type packages.  Did the seller actually send you this item or was it something the seller was drop shipping? 

Not sure what a "front lip" for a car is but how would you "fold" one? There are probably a couple issues here. First did you contact the seller prior to refusing the shipment and give them a chance to work out the situation? Since you refused the shipment the seller is under no obligation, in accordance with eBay policy, to refund you anything for the purchase or they may elect to deduct the shipping cost from any refund they may be tempted to give you. 

I am not sure where you are located but I would think this is something you could buy at a local auto parts store or body shop or they could order 6

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I find that difficult to believe.  The USPS no longer does postage due on the receiver end.  In either event, just refuse it. Short or no postage-paid items are caught in the delivery system now and the sender is billed. This is especially true of sellers on eBay.

Agree and there is probably more to this story. Some sellers, like myself, do not purchase their shipping labels through eBay especially when shipping UPS who is infamous for unilateral surcharges. I utilize Pirate Ship which has the same discounted shipping rates as eBay but also has a couple of other class options eBay does not offer. I also purchase these labels with a cash rewards credit card which reduces my actual shipping cost even further. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Does tracking show postage due? You do have the right to refuse for postage due but if it's not shown in the tracking, you need something from the p.o. to prove that it arrived with underpaid postage. 

Normally, refusing to accept an item is loss of MBG for the buyer EXCEPT in cases where postage is due.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

There are still a few packages that slip through and the buyers receive a postage due notice.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

There are still a few packages that slip through and the buyers receive a postage due notice.

I had had postage due on the receiver end at least 3 times in the last year.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:
@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

I had had postage due on the receiver end at least 3 times in the last year.

Were these through USPS or UPS or some other carrier? In all the years I have been selling I have never had postage due on the receiver end. I have had USPS return packages to me because they could not tell the difference between a priority mail large shipping box and a large priority mail flat rate box even though it is clearly printed on the different boxes. Of course I always double check the dim's and weight before I purchase the label and drop it at the post office. I also do not simply drop packages at the post office but wait to have them scanned and obtain a receipt which validates the shipping charges prior to USPS taking possession of the item. 

I also do not purchase my labels through eBay but utilize Pirate Ship which has shipper protections against unilateral carrier charges especially when it comes to UPS. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

All were USPS.

I had someone send me a new old stock bumper for a 1979-1986 Dodge/Mitsubishi minitruck, I think they just paid the weight and not the length or dimensional and I had to pay another $15 or so.

I opted not to pay the postage due on an return that wasn't authorized, and let the post office keep it.

And I had one card customer get a postage due on a standard envelope wanting the money to upgrade it to nonmachinable. I had that happen probably 10 times the first year of standard envelope and it has gone down every year since then.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I just refused it and moved on.

Oops!

You made the shipment Undeliverable, and now the seller can keep your payment.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

The fault and the responsibility is with the shipper, and to some extent with the PO clerk who accepted the underpaid shipment without questioning it.

But your refusal closed that door.

You are also covered by the chargeback policy of the credit card I hope you actually paid with.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

Hahaha, since when???? When did they stop doing it???? 🙄🙄🙄

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

Hahaha, since when???? When did they stop doing it???? 🙄🙄🙄

I read further and see people noting their experiences

I've received a minimum of 5 packages with postage due in the past 18 months. All USPS. Most recent was mid-late July.

One was someone shipping GA using a Priority Shipping Box. One was a newbie seller who punched in 8 ounces instead of 8 pounds. Another is a seller I buy from who serially ships packages as 4 oz or 6 oz or 11 oz when they weigh 2-4 or more pounds. Ive seen this seller ship pkgs labelled 11 oz that are 9 pounds. Most of these went through or didn't charge me. (Either charged back thru the system on Comm Accnt or just slipped thru). At least 3 times I was left w/ postage due and of course I went back to the seller to get my $$ back.

Honestly, I don't understand sellers who under-ship. Are you trying to save a buck? Postage due = bad customer experience. Is $1-$3 worth bad customer experience? I make sure my postage is accurate. 

Shipping a large box as a flat rate legal envelope is a joke. Surprised I didn't have over $20 postage due on that most recent one. Also sellers who ship a 3lb box marking it 9lbs wasting $$$. Just mind-boggling how people ship.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Oops!

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

The fault and the responsibility is with the shipper, and to some extent with the PO clerk who accepted the underpaid shipment without questioning it.

You are also covered by the chargeback policy of the credit card I hope you actually paid with.

INCORRECT!!! 

Right on the page you linked to...

The buyer refused delivery of the item....  

Covered:

• The item arrived with shipping cost still owing because the seller didn't apply enough postage

I have been in this situation, had a package arrive with extra postage due, i refused it because it was a large amount, filed a claim with eBay, explained that it arrived postage due and provided a copy of the notice from the post office, my money was promptly refunded. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Oops!

Postage due is one reason you can refuse a package and still be covered by the MBG.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 20
latest reply