cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller deliberately sent wrong item and provided tracking number for that item

Hi, 

I've bought a used camera off from a seller and expected to receive it last Friday. Unfortunately it still has not arrived, but I checked the tracking number the seller provided me, and it is indicated that it's delivered to my letter box. 

This is incredibly suspicious as:

1. The camera, lens, battery and parcel box will not fit into my apartment letter box. 

2. I've checked with my post office regarding the tracking number, and they've confirmed that they delivered a envelope that corresponds to the tracking number. They've also sent a picture placing the package into my letterbox - the package is certainly too small to contain everything I've purchased. 

3. In fact, the package is a bar soap that was delivered on the 15th of June - not a camera. I thought the soap was purchased as a gift by someone else and I didn't put much thought into it, but it turns out that this was sent by the seller!

I've messaged the seller, who insists that he has sent the camera and that the tracking number is correct. The seller has now asked ebay to resolve the matter. How can I further bolster my case?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Close it and open an INAD.  All the seller has to do is provide the shipping confirmation number on a INR and the case will be closed in their favor. 

Do NOT close the INAD, the seller will probably make up a story about not being able to refund until you close the case, don't close the case.  The seller will start offering more and more money back, do not close the case. The seller will do everything they can to get you over the 30 days from delivery, so you can't open a case.  

Any seller that's willing to use the zip code scam is not one we want selling.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Now you're going to file an INAD.  The seller will have to refund the purchase, or pay to have that bar of soap returned, THEN refund the purchase price.  Don't let the seller 'offer' you a lesser amount, they seem to do that frequently.  All you're going to get is your money back.  There is no sanction, there is no case, just get your money back.  Then leave appropriate feedback.

Stop playing with the seller and go through the correct procedure (INAD).  You're protected against this kind of thing. 

YOU file the case with ebay, the seller is trying to get you over the 30 days by telling you any story to get you to hold off just another couple of days.  Again, STOP communication with the seller, file the item not as described.  YOU have to ask ebay to step in after the INAD is opened.  And I believe you can do that immediately after opening the case.  

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thank you.

I have an ongoing INR that has been escalated to ebay right now, which will take two days for a final decision - should I close it, or let it expire and then raise an INAD?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Close it and open an INAD.  All the seller has to do is provide the shipping confirmation number on a INR and the case will be closed in their favor. 

Do NOT close the INAD, the seller will probably make up a story about not being able to refund until you close the case, don't close the case.  The seller will start offering more and more money back, do not close the case. The seller will do everything they can to get you over the 30 days from delivery, so you can't open a case.  

Any seller that's willing to use the zip code scam is not one we want selling.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@zhke-53,

Since you have not opened an Item Not Received dispute, but only contacted the seller. Stop doing that and file an Item Not As Described dispute, by using the Return item button on your purchase history. 

If you still have the bar of soap and the package it came in save it. Take a photo of the package with the tracking number showing.  If the claim the seller made is showing in your ebay messages saying the seller has opened a dispute/claim, respond to it saying I received a bar of soap in a package with the tracking number you provided.  You should be able to add the photo you took, but make sure it is a clear one.

If there is no message immediately file an Item Not as Described (INAD)  dispute. Once the dispute has been filed it will appear on your My ebay page. Open it up and I believe you can then add more information and photos. 

If you lose the dispute, because you are located in Singapore, and have posted this topic on the U.S. Based site (ebay.com) you may have signed up to use ebay from a different site, and you may want to post this topic on that site's community boards.  How you should proceed may be different for your home site.  You can still come back here and let us know what has happened.   To find your topic again, look in the upper right corner and you will see a circle to the right of an envelope symbol. If you click on it a drop down list will appear. Select My profile. A page will open That has your username on it and lower down you will see Posts / Replies.  If you click on posts this topic's title will appear. Click on that to be taken to it.  Then you can add any information you have received, so we can try to help you.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for your advice.

I have closed the IND case and filed a INAD using the returns button, then explained my situation and attached pictures of the package containing the soap as well as the bar of soap itself. I can only ask Ebay to step in from Jul 8 onwards. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ok, make sure that you follow the instructions exactly.  mark your calender now so that you do NOT forget. Set an alarm on your watch or tablet to remind you.  DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH THE SELLER. He may try to convince you to close the case.  DO NOT CLOSE THE CASE.     Once you get your refund, see if you can post a negative for this scammer.  Write , " SELLER MAILED ME A BAR OF SOAP INSTEAD OF MY CAMERA. AVOID THIS SCAMMER. "  That is it.  Do not mention ebay or refund or opened a case.  What I wrote is perfect and not removable.

Goodluck finding your camera elsewhere. LOOK only for sellers with a long time on ebay and lots of feedback as a seller.  Find one in the USA.  Read the  description details carefully.  Do the details match the photos?  Ask questions before bidding. If the seller doesn't respond, find another seller.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Something seems off.  You should be able to have ebay step in sooner than that.  

Someone who's done an INAD return step in please. I haven't done one in years, but I thought you could have ebay step in after 3 days.  

Ok I'm an idiot.  It's Friday.  Monday is a holiday, so the actual time would be Thursday.  NOW I understand!  DUHHH!  That's on me.  Sorry for the poor advice.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Here is an update:

After July 8, ebay sent me the following: 

eBay Customer Service has placed the case on hold until Jul 13, 2022

Hi,

Your case was placed on hold temporarily. We will get back to you with an update by Jul 13, 2022.

We have sent you an email requesting further information to allow us to investigate your case. Please provide this information before Jul 13, 2022 to assist with the process.

Unfortunately I did not receive the email in my main account. What also puzzled me is that when I check the status of my return, one page states this:

Screenshot 2022-07-10 180355.png

"closed because the seller opened a case"? Strange.

I proceeded to contact ebay on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ebay/), and after providing verification of my identity, customer service closed the case in my favor and will issue a full refund to me, without needing to ship back anything. Their response was really quick.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@zhke-53 wrote:

Here is an update:

After July 8, ebay sent me the following: 

eBay Customer Service has placed the case on hold until Jul 13, 2022

Hi,

Your case was placed on hold temporarily. We will get back to you with an update by Jul 13, 2022.

We have sent you an email requesting further information to allow us to investigate your case. Please provide this information before Jul 13, 2022 to assist with the process.

Unfortunately I did not receive the email in my main account. What also puzzled me is that when I check the status of my return, one page states this:

Screenshot 2022-07-10 180355.png

"closed because the seller opened a case"? Strange.

I proceeded to contact ebay on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ebay/), and after providing verification of my identity, customer service closed the case in my favor and will issue a full refund to me, without needing to ship back anything. Their response was really quick.

This means that the return request was escalated to eBay to decide and is now a case instead of s request. Which is generally a bad idea for a seller to do. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Glad you won the case.  Now be looking for the email that says you've gotten the refund.  Normally this is automatic, but sometimes there's an issue.  

If you don't get the email, again message through FB.  

You'll get your money back.  Just a waiting game now.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hello would u please help me 

same deal seller sent tracking I received tracking and box and it doesn’t contain the correct item. Of course I contacted the seller and he is saying well maybe I shouldn’t have took so long to pay mocking me and saying well I sent what you ordered basically saying that he’s going to lie as if he shipped the correct item, eBay is telling me to print the shipping label and ship it back but I don’t have the item and he says well if you want a refund then you have to return the item and that’s the item he never sent

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@gothicn_96 

If you've received a label use it to return what you received. Once the seller receives it you'll be refunded. The seller has no say in it at that point.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply