cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller asking for information as a requirement to sell to us

We have been buying and selling on ebay for years, and as a buyer, this is the first time we came across this.

We received a call from someone claiming to be a seller on ebay, but refused to disclose their name or the item being purchased. The timing does match up but due to multiple purchases we were not able to determine which one.

The caller claiming to be a seller asked us for information about the address, about the structure, public records, configuration, etc. Which seemed very unsuual and we never had anyone ask us this before.

He said (in reasonably good English) that if we did not disclose more information about the place he would refuse to sell to us.

I did send messages to all my recent sellers but did not claim responsibility except one who abruptly canceled an order. We have a suspect however we are unsure as to why that particular seller responded in such a way.

Although we have never baught from that seller before, we have had many items shipped to the place. So the caller requesting so much information about a place in order to sell to us seemed suspicious. The seller who canceled claimed the address was "bad", however we have had many items shipped there before without any issues.

---
Bolt with his head stuck"Turn and pull, just turn and pull, you'll be outta there in no time."
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Public Records?  What are you buying?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

We have been buying and selling on ebay for years, and as a buyer, this is the first time we came across this.

@klm5660 

I'd have been standing right beside you. What in the world? Hopefully, someone knowledgeable will happen by...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Some electronic parts, it's a US seller, nothing unusual.

They wanted to know the layout of our "home", size, and configuration, number of structures, etc.

---
Bolt with his head stuck"Turn and pull, just turn and pull, you'll be outta there in no time."
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Well this is just weird!!

I mean, why would they want to know the size of some place?

---
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Is there any reason or would it be helpful for them to know that information because of what you were buying?  Were you buying something that is connected to you home, like a Security System?  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

No, it has nothing to do with the place it's being shipped to, it's a hand held part for a camera. It doesn't go to any structure.

It does not interact with any part of any fixed structure.

Not sure why they wanted to know the tax value and square footage of the place either.

---
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It can't be ideally used for security either, it's mainly for making movies. But it's not necessarily being used at the place its being shipped to.

We're also not reshipping or sending to any other place, entity, terrorist organization, hostile nation, itar, or anything like that.

---
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If they do not have any reason to know the information and you are sure it is not a mistake (emailed the wrong person) I would not be comfortable dealing with them.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@klm5660 wrote:

Some electronic parts, it's a US seller, nothing unusual.

They wanted to know the layout of our "home", size, and configuration, number of structures, etc.

You're being scammed by the caller. They are on a phish expedition just like the crank calls from the IRS. You didn't buy anything from them, they are scoping out your assets for whatever reason.

The seller who cancelled thinks you're a fruitcake and doesn't want to deal with you after you asked that. They have nothing to do with the call you received.

C.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Is there any reason or would it be helpful for them to know that information because of what you were buying?  Were you buying something that is connected to you home, like a Security System?  

A legitimate seller of such a question would send a trackable eBay message explaining the product is home specific and can they please provide some details to help with the purchase. They wouldn't call and say "you bought something from us but it's a secret, and you need to tell us all about your home because we what to know."

C.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@klm5660 wrote:

It can't be ideally used for security either, it's mainly for making movies. But it's not necessarily being used at the place its being shipped to.

We're also not reshipping or sending to any other place, entity, terrorist organization, hostile nation, itar, or anything like that.

Sellers don't care what you do with it. They expect you to ask relevant questions prior to purchase. They want their money, they ship the item, you get the item, all is well that ends well.

Real sellers don't call and make threats to not sell to you if you don't answer questions, and refuse to tell you what it is you were trying to buy.

C.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Sounds like a phishing expedition to me. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Dear seller,

Pound sand and send me my darned item.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

i think @sin-n-dex has the most plausible explaination.

But why did the seller pull all their listings if they weren't related to the caller? I checked the sellers store from multiple devices and they are gone.

---
Message 15 of 15
latest reply