cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller asked me to request a refund to avoid seller fees ebay was charging?

Accepted a counter-offer from seller and paid right away.  Seller just messaged asking me to request a refund because the Ebay fees were going to take too much out and the seller was going to receive much less than they thought.  I'm a reasonable person, but when you list something to sell, isn't that your responsibility to research what fees you will incur when you sell the item?  I don't purchase a lot (but pride myself on being a quick payor and excellent buyer), and I have never sold anything so I don't want to be unreasonable.  However, why does this become my problem and now I'm asked to request a refund and not receive the item?  Looking for advice!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Seller has the option of cancelling the sale himself first...but doesn't want to take a "hit" of not delivering an item.

I wouldn't email seller. I would like seller to do the right thing. Cancel the sale himself or mail the item out to you.

A lot sellers make a mistake on shipping but that's the way it goes. Its a learning experience for the seller.

I bet the seller will cancel the sale himself. Do nothing.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It is not your problem, and if I was in your situation I would not comply with the seller's request.  He is trying to avoid the penalties that eBay will assess if he cancels it himself.  It is not unreasonable of you to expect the seller to follow through on this transaction.

When a seller cancels a transaction, they have to chose from a very short list of reasons; if they choose "Buyer requested" then there is no penalty, but if they choose "Out of stock" then they get a defect point on their account, and just a few of those can get them restricted or even suspended.

If you refuse to request a cancellation/ refund, then the seller might (1) cancel the transaction anyway based on one of the list of reasons, OR (2) he might just fail to ship and then you won't get your money back until you go through the claim process for "Item not received" which you can start on the day after the latest estimated delivery date. Or (3) he might decide to ship it after all.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Seller has the option of cancelling the sale himself first...but doesn't want to take a "hit" of not delivering an item.

I wouldn't email seller. I would like seller to do the right thing. Cancel the sale himself or mail the item out to you.

A lot sellers make a mistake on shipping but that's the way it goes. Its a learning experience for the seller.

I bet the seller will cancel the sale himself. Do nothing.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Do not ask for a refund. You are right the seller is responsible for listing their items. I would file a item not received if the seller refuses to honor the sale. You will have to wait one day after the estimated delivery date to file. Only way to hold a seller accountable.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have never sold anything on Ebay, but when I was looking up info, it was pretty quick to find the section on what potential seller fees are for items sold.  That should have been something the seller researched before even listing the item. 

I feel like I will lose no matter what.  If I refuse to request a refund, I'm guessing the seller will leave negative remarks, probably cancel the transaction or refuse to ship and then it's a back on me to file a claim to get my money back.  But also, if I comply with the seller's request, I am losing the item.  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

A true conundrum .

You have to decide what is best for you.

Is this a new seller that made a mistake? 

As you state................... you may or may not get the item. The seller should accept their mistake, and follow through, but eBay cannot force that.  All they can do is ding the account.

Up to you to choose if this seller has to pay for their mistake, or if you take it in stride, and move along.

Push the issue by not agreeing to a cancellation, or just see what happens. As you know if not shipped it is a waiting game for your money.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Sellers cannot leave you negative feedback

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The seller cannot leave negative remarks for you, and if he cancels you will get your money back.  You are covered either way.  I would not ask him to cancel.  Let him either ship you the item or take the hit if he does cancel.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You are not a victim here.  You will either get the item or get your money back.

It's the seller who is in a tough spot.  Yes it was his mistake, but he has to choose between losing money by shipping to you or take the hit on his account by cancelling.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

"I feel like I will lose no matter what.  If I refuse to request a refund, I'm guessing the seller will leave negative remarks, probably cancel the transaction or refuse to ship and then it's a back on me to file a claim to get my money back."

eBay sellers cannot leave negative feedback for any buyer.  The only option they have is to click "Positive."  If they put anything negative into the comments section, you, as the buyer, can request eBay to remove those comments.  

I haven't been in this situation as either a seller or a buyer, but I believe if the seller cancels the transaction, eBay automatically will refund the buyer.  The seller will probably receive some sort of adverse consequences for doing that.  

Your posts show that you are extremely reasonable, but dealing with an unreasonable seller.  You are completely right that the seller should have known eBay's fee arrangements, and his lack of profit is not your problem.  Since you purchased and paid promptly, my best advice to you is to stand your ground on this transaction.  Yes, it's disappointing, but you are not in the wrong here.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply