cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search for a specific brand

I have been an ebay buyer and seller for over 20 years yet I suddenly can't find useful search tools. How do I search for a specific brand, I don't want the search limited to a category, I want the results for everything that is listed for a specific brand. I don't see the option in the advanced search. It used to be easy to search a brand, now I can't even find an option to do that.  Ebay wants  you to be so specific with so many details when listing yet you can't even search by half of the details added to a listing. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@kleankeith,

"How do I search for a specific brand, I don't want the search limited to a category, I want the results for everything that is listed for a specific brand".

Why you would want to search for every item listed by a Brand's name. Especially, if the company sells hundreds of different items?

I just did an Advanced search for "Sony" > Exact words, exact order, All Categories,  U.S. listings only, which returned 2,400,000 results. Including results that do not seem relevant Ex. CDs, but are, because they are recorded on the Sony music label.

The filters in the left hand column for specific categories, is the longest list I have ever seen.  Just typing in a Brand's name might work for a company that only sells items that may fall into a couple of Categories but not one that sells in so many main and sub categories. Not to mention the aftermarket products made for Sony products such as "cases, dust covers, straps..." and even clothing with Sony's name on them.

Even a search for Garmin, a company that sells items in 5 main categories according to their Company information using the same basic Advanced filters returned 94,000 results including the extraneous items made for the products.  Changing the results to "New" only reduced the number to 70,000 items, and there is another long list of category filters in the left hand column. 

You would probably get similar results searching for Bissell, or other companies that sell items in one Main category. 

For the reasons and examples above, that is why ebay would like you to filter your search results further, and/or add more specific info to a search title.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@mudshark61369 

Thank you, that was so not helpful - can I suggest if you are going to answer a question that you actually provide a helpful answer and not a condescending comment. Isn't that the point of the community? Why waist your time and the one asking a question with this sort of snotty response!?!? When you search 'sony' it does not limit the search results to just the brand Sony. The brand I want to search has very few items on ebay but those items  are in a couple of different categories. When I search with quotes around the brand name I still get other brands in the search results.  Thanks again

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@kleankeith,

I know entering a title for just a brand name in an Advanced search will return results that have other brand named items.  That is why I wrote that you should use the Exact words, Exact order filter when entering the search. The original Sony result without the filter returned 2,900,000 results with other brand names in it.

You did not mention using quotation marks in your first message, so I did not respond to that.  Using quotation marks in searches has not worked in terms of filtering results, for years.   You may be an almost 24 year member of ebay's, but according to your profile have done much buying year by year, and over the last several years ebay has made many changes, which have adversely affected searches. Evey now and then you have to check ebay's Announcements, even those directed at sellers, to find out what changes they are making to searches.

I was not trying to be condescending.  I did the three searches using companies I knew sold items in Many Main categories, A few Main categories, and 1 main category. using exact words, exact order. Just to get an idea of the numbers or results.  You may not be happy with what you see, but that is ebay's fault not mine. 

If you did not like what you read then, You asked for Free  advice and got the best answer I could give you,  So;

EXCUUUUUUUSE  ME !!!

Maybe someone else will give you other advice on how to do a Brand Name search that works better for you.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Is entering the brand name in the search box not working for you?  I realize that doesn't always work as that word may bring up unrelated things.  For example when I search the brand name Coach, tons of sport type listings come up. 

It wouldn't be realistic here to have a list of brands for all items on the site. It would be a list of thousands.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply