cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed

This is a really long detailed issue so i'm going to try and make it as short as possible. So i bought a Macbook from this account. It started messing up and i tried getting help from Apple, we couldn't fix it and then they told me i got sold a faulty Macbook and to contact Ebay. Ebay then told me to contact the buyer so i did. When i told him it was faulty he said "yeah we get them from trades and auctions" which is weird because he's not selling other Macbooks, just parts. I was under the impression it was a personal Macbook or i wouldn't even of bought it in the first place. I lost all of my pictures and videos and messages because i got locked out of it.. anyway after going back and forth for weeks he finally agreed to refund me. We went to paypal for that. I took a video of the Macbook before i packaged it just in case. There was no physical damage when i shipped it out. I even have a receipt from best buy which states ZERO physical damage. He then sends me pictures and says its damaged. The way its damaged does NOT look like its from shipping. Then he opened a dispute on paypal and they ended up taking the money back. When the Macbook came back to me there was deep scratches on it and the dent that was in it looked like it was purposely hit on a corner. He sent it back to me in the same exact bubble wrap i sent it to him in with my tape and everything. So its all scratched up but the bubble wrap is undamaged? Seems sus 100%... I had it inside a case the entire time i had it. I had a screen protector on it as well and a keyboard cover. I even tried to fix it before i even got ahold of him in the first place so i took it to Bestbuy and they couldn't even fix it. They told me they had 3 people try to fix it. This is probably scrambled, i'm very stressed. I am out of a Macbook, $550 because paypal charged ME a dispute fee on top of everything, and all of my videos/pictures/memories.. Do not buy anything from this terrible person. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Scammed

One takes their chances buying an electronic item.

Never heard of a seller shipping an item to a buyer...buyer returning to seller...and then seller shipping  it back to buyer again. 

Not sure what is wrong with the computer.

"tried getting help from Apple"...I spilled a glass of wine on my computer...wouldn't work...Apple Store said it is dead...but I saw Apple Store employee use a "keyboard" and managed to get into my computer.

I went to "Best Buy" and bought a "keyboard"...around $50 bucks...and computer was working with the keyboard...That computer lasted about another 4 years.

Maybe buy a keyboard...if it doesn't work...return it for a refund. Just an idea.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

Paypal had him return it to me after he said it was damaged. It was completely physically undamaged when i shipped it out. I’ve never heard of the keyboard thing but i dont think it will work because the Mac is stuck in a loop. I cannot even log onto it. Ive searched all over the internet and asked ppl on reddit for help. I couldn’t get any. Seller said he would refund or fix it and send it back to me. Bet if i would have said “okay you guys can fix it” it would’ve arrived physically undamaged. Everything happens for a reason tho so maybe he needed the money more than i did, just a crappy situation for me.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

I couldn't log onto my laptop either...until I plugged a keyboard in it. 

It worked for me...Apple Store said for me to buy a new one cause the old one won't work.

Had a printer problem also...all I needed to do was buy color ink for the printer to work again...Staples wanted me to buy a new printer.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

Didn't you read what the OP said? They said they already tried to return it for a refund and the seller opened a dispute on PayPal and the refund was reversed.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

Your seller has 9 feedback revisions. I'm not sure how far they go back but to me that indicates this is a seller who probably didn't earn a 100% rating. I'm wary of sellers who appear to get buyers to change their less than positive feedback. It's just my opinion, but the seller sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing. 

There's nothing you can do on eBay and nothing on PayPal, but maybe if you used a credit card you can try doing a chargeback if you have time left.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

Didn't you read my posts.

I suggested the OP to buy a "keyboard" as a suggestion.

What have you offered? Anything?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

@happy2beheree,

"... anyway after going back and forth for weeks he finally agreed to refund me. We went to paypal for that". 

Your mistake was to not file an Item Not As Described (INAD) dispute shortly after the seller started giving you the run around.  They purposely delayed you past the time for using your Money Back Guarantee (MBG) protections, which are 30 days from the date tracking showed Delivered.   eBay would have made them pay for the return and they are much less likely to believe a seller who claims a different item was sent to them.

"I took a video of the Macbook before i packaged it just in case. There was no physical damage when i shipped it out. I even have a receipt from best buy which states ZERO physical damage. He then sends me pictures and says its damaged. The way its damaged does NOT look like its from shipping. Then he opened a dispute on paypal and they ended up taking the money back".

For electronic items it is often best to photograph or video the item's serial number so a seller can't claim the item returned was not the one you sent, and in a case like yours that the item returned to you, was not the one you sent.

Before buying from any seller you should check their feedback profile page before buying from them. Especially, if they have a No Returns policy.  This seller's profile was very suspicious looking to me starting with the 9 feedback revisions and only 6 feedback received in the last year, out of 36 feedback in the same time mostly for buying.  381 total feedback out of 1.6K items sold. Then there are the Private listings for common items which there is no need for unless a seller wants to hide what was sold, in case of possible not as described feedback. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

yeah it was reversed after he received it and damaged it:/ there’s no point in doing the keyboard thing when my screen is now damaged. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

sadly i didn’t use a credit card :’( i worked hard and saved up my money for it.. you’re right though i honestly didn’t notice the revisions. I don’t really use Ebay that much, i was looking for the feedback and the items sold, definitely my mistake and i also agree he knew what he was doing. i’m mad he got away with it right in front of paypal, looking at the entire dispute you can clearly tell he was in the wrong. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

thank you for the tips, i appreciate that. i’ll do better next time but i’m definitely never buying a used electronic again.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

Perhaps I'm missing something.  When you discovered that it did not work, you had 30 days past the delivery date to open an item not as described case.  Did you not know that? 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Scammed

@happy2beheree 

< i'm going to try and make it as short as possible >     

When it isn't possible to shorten a posting, you can make it more readable by separating it into paragraphs.  White space is a writer's friend.  Not only is a posting more readable, also it's more inviting for readers to read in the first place.  Take a look at mudshark's answer for a good example, see how much easier it is to read.  I'm sorry you had trouble with your purchase. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply